DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/)
-   -   Beginner Equipment (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/502024-beginner-equipment.html)

Tim O'Brien October 26th, 2011 10:11 AM

Beginner Equipment

I am looking to getting into video as a hobby. Can i get some advice on what I need to begin. I had looked at the Canon 60d but looks as if the T3i will work just fine. Other than that what else should I go with. Imac or PC, Final cut or Vegas, mics, etc etc. Im looking to spend about $3500 for my start up. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks

Buba Kastorski October 26th, 2011 12:16 PM

Re: Beginner Equipment

for the video T3i will do just as good as 60D, PC or Mac, i don't know, do you own and comfortable with both? FCP or Vegas - I'd say Vegas, but again, are you PC or Mac person?
and why DSLR, with decent lens it won't be much cheaper than VG20, or HF G10 for example,
for a hobby I'd start with camcorder, or it's not cool anymore? :)

Tim O'Brien October 26th, 2011 12:50 PM

Cool or not Cool Im just looking for something I can wrap my head around and get decent quality for the price. I alos thought I can get still photos out of the T3i if my video capabilities doent pan out. AS for Mac or PC.. I have little time with a MAC but have always been tech savvy and feel I can get used to it faster than the next guy. I appreciate your comments

Garrett Low October 26th, 2011 04:54 PM

Tim, what do you want to do with this hobby? Shoot sporting events, nature, movies? The equipment needed really depends on the type of projects you are going to be shooting.

For the NLE system that again really depends on what you're going to be doing. FCP is used by a lot but there is a premium to pay. Plus you're then committed to a Mac. Vegas is an easy program to pick up that can do some very impressive things but it does have it's limitations.

A DSLR to shoot video would not be my recommendation as a starting camera. The first think to learn just as in still photography is framing and lighting. learning about how the different elements in the frame of view play with one another to allow you to project the images and emotions you want. The demands of a DSLR just to get good exposure and maintain focus can pull your attention in the wrong direction.

Remember to budget for sound gear, camera supports, grip gear, and lights if you want to go there.

Just my take on it,
-Garrett

Tim O'Brien October 27th, 2011 04:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I appreciate your itme spent on your opinion. I plan on shooting all outdoors. Particularly salt water fishing and the surrounding wildlife. There will be little dialogue, but mainly just back ground music. I plan on shooting from boat, land, and plane. I went and looked at a Mac today and the rep told me that the standard Imovie on the Mac would be sufficient. So with that said what are your opinions. Thanks.

Sareesh Sudhakaran October 27th, 2011 09:40 PM

I suggest buying the t2i (550d) or a GH2.

Here's a discussion on the subject: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-...ure-films.html

Hope this helps.

Dylan Couper November 3rd, 2011 10:52 PM

If you're getting into video, a DSLR like a t2i or GH2 may limit your growth as a shooter. I run into shooters on a regular basis who have no idea how to use a "real" camera. Sure, the DSLR is a cheap way to get a shallow DOF, but you're much better off learning how to shoot on a real video tool. You can grab a nice used HVX200 for $2000.

David Rice November 4th, 2011 03:11 AM

I used to shoot a lot of outdoor hunting, fishing, hiking, and boating activities. Some of it in extreme conditions, in the worst weather in the world. Here's what I would get.

Buy two camera's. First a Panasonic TM900 or similar camcorder. They shoot excellent video, they are light weight, can be carried in a large pocket, and very easy to operate. Which means your buddies can pick up the camera and start shooting. Then if the camera drops over the side of the boat, you cry only one day.

The other camera? I would sure look at the new GoPro. It looks like it was made for outdoor sports and activities. Above and below the water.

Spend less than $1500 total, and use the rest of your money for trips and fun.

Buying gear can become a trap.

Your trips and experiences are more important than your gear.

Les Wilson November 4th, 2011 04:49 AM

@Tim. What Dave said. He has many years doing exactly what you say you want to do... just in Alaska. The TM900 + GoPro is a nice combo for getting started.

Get a Mac. You'll spend less time fussing with the machine. When you grow out of iMovie, grab FCP-X. There's nothing else out there like FCP-X... it's what the young folks are using these days and you'll be riding with the pack as it grows.

Don't obsess about the camera. It's one piece of gear. A good portable tripod will set you back but last you many cameras.

Lastly, it's not about the gear. This is a visual art. Your eye and storytelling skills will make for great video that people will want to watch ... not so much the camera.

Les Wilson November 4th, 2011 04:58 AM

This was shot with a GL2 (an old standard def camera) from a canoe on a cloudy day thus proving the old adage the best camera is the one you have with you.

Richard Gooderick November 4th, 2011 12:43 PM

A good point and a nice film.
It demonstrates the value of a bit of half decent sound too. I don't think that film would have nearly as much impact without the intro. It makes you feel like it is real and you are there.