Nikon D4, Canon 5dmk3, 5dmk2, night test at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old April 8th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Nikon D4, Canon 5dmk3, 5dmk2, night test

would like to share quick test, my comments on vimeo page, let me know what are your opinions..
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Nikon D4, Canon 5dmk3, 5dmk2, night test

Nice test, thanks for sharing. I like the improvements in both the 5DIII and the D4. Did you try the HDMI out from the D4?
Old April 9th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #3
Trustee

It shows how close the D4 & Mk3 are to each other in performance. It also shows that the much older Mk2 is no slouch and still is an incredible performer at an amazing price-point.

The D4, Mk3 and D800 all provide fairly clean images and video at high ISO. Even though these were night-scenes there was still a lot of artificial lights and so difficult to see really how they cope in the deepest shadow areas. In this respect, the Mk3 tends to not break/pixelate or colour band as much as the D4 & D800...but the ISO levels really need to be pushed to extreme levels to show this.

In the real-world without pixel-peepers and stop-frame anylists, where content outweighs tiny quality differences, the majority of poeple would be happy working with any of these cameras. I think choosing the right one all boils down to the handling characteristics and workflow that fits your needs.
Old April 9th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Tony, thank you, good observations, I really think that cameras already so good, the tools are here, we have to make more films, creative projects..
rephrasing famous quotation, it's not what manufacturer can do for you, it's what you can do creatively!
Cheers,
I actually found that Nikon have amazing low banding codec, starting from D5100..
for light sensitivity, have to do more tests, just for fun!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)