I need time lapse help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old April 14th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I need time lapse help

I'm just learning time lapse with my 5D Mark II.....Can someone tell me what the best settings are in AV mode for using an intervalometer when shooting dark night to sunrise? I used a 10 sec delay, exposure time 30secs, interval 1min 30secs and 200 for number of shots but I may have been way off to get the number of shots I need for maximum output.... In all I got about 2 hours before my battery ran out....I only had a little over 60 shots....... My goal is to have about 6 or 7 secs of the sun rising from darkness.

Thanks,
Reggie
Reggie Moser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: I need time lapse help

Reggie,
If I am reading your number correctly you had a few settings which would should be adjusted.
Interval time between shots. Let's say it takes the sun 15 minutes to appear on the horizon and then rise high enough to see the whole thing. for a 7 second shot that would be 7 x 30 for 210 frames. Fifteen minutes would be 14 frames a minute or an interval of about 4 secs. Your exposure has to be shorter than your interval.
If you know how long it will take the sun to rise from darkness to be full int the sky you can adjust your interval accordingly.
Lots of other tips are needed for a shot like this to work out so maybe you should try something easier first.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: I need time lapse help

Thanks Daniel....your point is well taken....I'll definitely try something easier first. Thanks a lot

Reggie
Reggie Moser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)