Borealis: he Northern Light with the Sony A99 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old February 18th, 2013, 02:10 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Borealis: he Northern Light with the Sony A99

I recently spent a couple of weeks up in Arctic Norway shooting the Northern Lights. The principle cameras I used were the Sony A99, NEX5 and a PMW-F5. We had some great Aurora displays but also some incredibly challenging conditions including so much snow that we were almost snowed in and temperatures that got down to -34c. The average temperature when shooting the Aurora was -23c. Overall I was very please with the A99 although it could be a little temperamental below -20c. I had to keep it powered up and covered with a small insulating cover to prevent the shutter from freezing up. Almost every camera on this trip suffered from the cold at some stage. This video is made up of still frames compiled as time-lapse. Exposures ranged from 10 seconds to 2.5 seconds at 1600 and 3200 ISO.
Old February 18th, 2013, 07:19 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Borealis: he Northern Light with the Sony A99

Very Nice.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Borealis: he Northern Light with the Sony A99

Amazing work!
Guy Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)