Using 77mm filters on a 58mm lens. Stack using Xume System? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old June 15th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Using 77mm filters on a 58mm lens. Stack using Xume System?

From my previous HDSLR kit, I have a polarizer and two nice B+W ND filters that are all 77mm. In my new kit, my main squeeze lens is a 58mm filter size. I'm fine with using collapsible lens hoods and 3rd party lens caps. Has anyone worked with step rings? How are they to work with?

Also, I often use an ND and a circular polarizer with a rubber lens hood to operate it. Has anyone stacked filters using the Xume snap on system?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 04:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Using 77mm filters on a 58mm lens. Stack using Xume System?

EPILOG:

Within an hour of sending an inquiry to Xume support, on a Saturday morning, I got a response. Amazing. This is what they said:

"For now, our system doesn't allow stacking unless you have an adapter screwed into the front of your filters which would get very thick and likely cause vignetting. It will also make the connection less stable, so it's not a good solution for stacking. We have had reports from users who screw two filters together and use them in pairs, but it defeats the purpose and we don't recommend it.
Sorry. The adapters work great but they're not a good solution for every situation or workflow.
Thanks for your interest!"
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Using 77mm filters on a 58mm lens. Stack using Xume System?

I find step up rings very useful as I have a few 58 mm accessories left over from PD150 days. I now have 2 Panasonics, one is 46 mm the other is 49 mm and have fitted each with a step up ring to take the thread size to 58 mm. As the PD 150 had a rather nice hood I use step up rings that hold PD150 hoods also. This means I can use my old accessories and as these include the very good but expensive Canon close-up lenses the rings pay for themselves many times over. As the filter used is larger than normal the risk of vignetting is low. I also have still camera lenses with 62 mm thread size that I step down to 58 mm. These lenses have relatively long focal lengths and do not cause vignetting problems on my EX3

Footnote: - I purchased a set of 7 step up rings from Neeweer for $7.07 including postage.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)