A7s Prototype Kit including external power and Odyssey/Shogun mount... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old August 22nd, 2014, 06:18 AM   #1
Sponsor: Westside AV

A7s Prototype Kit including external power and Odyssey/Shogun mount...

I am doing all my testing and playing with a kit prototype.

I find the shoulder brace makes the 24-70 OSS lens super smooth for hand held even at 70 in C mode.

The longer lens in the photos is my Canon FD 70-210 f4 from the 70's. Still one of my favorites, it does not expand and contract as you zoom pump style, focus is on the same ring, all manual of course. My Metabones v4 is arriving later today, so I will play with some large Canon glass tomorrow.

Anyway the kit is made to be super light and sturdy w/o hindering getting to the controls and still being able to use the VF that I think is fantastic in the A7s. As you can see it is easy to add an external monitor/recorder, it uses parts from my FS700 and Odyssey Kits. The shoulder part comes off with one thumb screw as does the monitor mount. All the sockets and controls are easily accessible and the kit will accept 15mm rods if you like to use FF and matte box. And the hot shoe is open with lots of room around it.

The VF foam and suede cover is something I like as I wear glasses, I will be 3D printing these with the suede added, or I can tell you how to make this very easily for less than $10.00.

The power plate can be AB or IDX or as in the photos a FS700 battery. I will have multiple places to mount the battery as well as possible 15mm rods in the back if you want them. But I like really light compact systems more than rods myself. These external batteries can power the A7s as well as added options like recorders wireless mics etc.

There is a very simple lens support built in that is adjustable for different lenses even large Metabones/Canon 70-200 or other foot supported lenses. There is a sliding plate that makes centering on your head easy for different lenses.

I am still refining the kit and adding parts. As you can see I am staying away from the very restrictive and large cage idea, instead I call this the double L kit, the idea is to stay small, no need for an external VF for shouldering. And at the same time it can be converted quickly into a studio kit complete with power zoom and remote focus, I will probably also add wooden handle options with remote trigger.

If anyone here is interested in Beta Testing this kit contact me. I always like a few Beta testers other than myself and Sharyn. Any comments are also welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
A7s Prototype Kit including external power and Odyssey/Shogun mount...-a7sprotokit1.jpg   A7s Prototype Kit including external power and Odyssey/Shogun mount...-a7sprotokit3.jpg  

A7s Prototype Kit including external power and Odyssey/Shogun mount...-a7sprotokit5.jpg   A7s Prototype Kit including external power and Odyssey/Shogun mount...-a7sprotokit6.jpg  

A7s Prototype Kit including external power and Odyssey/Shogun mount...-a7sprotokit7.jpg   A7s Prototype Kit including external power and Odyssey/Shogun mount...-a7sprotokit9.jpg  

A7s Prototype Kit including external power and Odyssey/Shogun mount...-a7sprotokit8.jpg   A7s Prototype Kit including external power and Odyssey/Shogun mount...-a7sprotokit10.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR