DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   What does everyone use for their hair light setup? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/100735-what-does-everyone-use-their-hair-light-setup.html)

Oliver Darden August 6th, 2007 08:31 PM

What does everyone use for their hair light setup?

I know each shot / scene is always going to change depending on where your shooting etc, but I was curious to see what everyone here is using for a hair light.

Things like:

Watts:

Brand:

What kind of stand / c-stand:

Diffusion / Softbox (if any):

Thanks!

btw: I ordered the Lowel DP 1000 with the Chimera Video Pro Plus 1 Softbox for my softbox solution.

Matthew Gore August 6th, 2007 08:43 PM

hair light

I really like to use an Arri 150w light, with barn doors.
No diffussion and sometimes a straw colored gel.

Lowell makes a nice little 150 light that you can put a snoot on
to control the light coverage.

I like the smailler fixtures beacuse they are easy to work in as a back/hair light in a small space, they generate less heat and you can run it off the same ciruit as your key or fill light without worrying about tripping a breaker if
you are in a house or officer that hunting down the breaker box would be a pain.

Matt Gore

Glenn Davidson August 6th, 2007 09:45 PM

I also use the Arri 150 on a Bogen Boom stand.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...oom_Stand.html

Dale Stoltzfus August 7th, 2007 09:46 AM

I suppose the Arri 150w you refer to is a Fresnel?

Glenn Davidson August 7th, 2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Stoltzfus (Post 724842)
I suppose the Arri 150w you refer to is a Fresnel?

That's the unit. I have mine set up with the barn doors, but no diffusion or softbox.

Dale Stoltzfus August 7th, 2007 12:08 PM

Would the Arri 150w be suitable for an edge light as well? If so, should it be used with diffusion for edge light?

Oliver Darden August 7th, 2007 07:26 PM

thanks for the input so far guys, I think that the arri 150 is a great hair light myself. The 300 and 650 seem way too bright for a hair light (even with diffusion), almost like another key from the back.

Mark Sasahara August 7th, 2007 09:19 PM

Love the Arri 150's, which can be fitted with an FEV 200W globe. They are quite small, yet powerful and fairly precise.

I REALLY love my Dedolights. These are great for hair, edge and background lights. They are also great as key and fill too. They are very versatile and are 12V/24V, so they can be run on a battery.

I have hung them from drop ceilings, taped Baby Nail On Plates to walls and mounted on that, clipped to the top of a door, Cardellini'd to a forklift to mimic it's lights. They are a lot of fun and make beautiful light.

www.dedolight.com
Download the 2007 Catalog

They can take a 150w 24V globe that has the equivalent output to about a 300W Fresnel. They have a double aspheric lens system that makes them very unique and powerful. The beam is very clean and even. The luminaires are quite small and can easily be hidden, or put in rather precarious places without too much worry, as they are very robust. Nearly water resistant.

Oliver Darden August 7th, 2007 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Sasahara (Post 725185)
I REALLY love my Dedolights. These are great for hair, edge and background lights.

I really like these as well but they are kinda of expensive compared to the 150's. $ 228.95 vs $ 739.50!

I really really like how you can dim them tho.

Is there a way to dim the Arri Fresnels (150,300,650)? I saw on a video where a guy just picked up a dimmer from home depot and plugged it into a light and it became dimable.

Dan Brockett August 7th, 2007 11:33 PM

Hi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver Darden (Post 725197)
I really like these as well but they are kinda of expensive compared to the 150's. $ 228.95 vs $ 739.50!
Yes, the Dedos are great lights but a bit pricey for many.

I really really like how you can dim them tho.

Is there a way to dim the Arri Fresnels (150,300,650)? I saw on a video where a guy just picked up a dimmer from home depot and plugged it into a light and it became dimable.

You can easily dim the Arri 150, just beware that when you do, you are changing to color temp of the light to a nice orange. Can still look good but you have to want a goldish/orange hairlight.

If you need a good cheap dimmer, Harbor Freight sells router speed controls that are essentially a dimmer for $12.95, I own a basketload of them and use them all of the time.

Best,

Dan

Robert Brandon August 8th, 2007 02:08 AM

Does anyone have a suggestion for a DIY setup? on a really tight budget but I have decent key and fill lights. I have an adjustable halogen desklamp I try to use now, but its very heavy and impossible to boom. I realize you guys are talking pro gear, just didn't want to start a new thread.

Heiko Saele August 8th, 2007 10:23 AM

About the dimmers: be careful with them because most non-pro dimmers are for <300W only. You will fry such a dimmer if you use it on a 600 or 800W light. Dimmers rated for more than 300W are usually pretty expensive.

Ralph Keyser August 8th, 2007 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Brandon (Post 725273)
Does anyone have a suggestion for a DIY setup?

You can use almost anything, or course. The ubiquitous clamp lights come to mind. They're lightweight and cheap, and some blackwrap will give you some control over the light. The reason you go to the professional equipment, however, is for control, speed, flexability and reliability. Lowel makes a decent little light in their Pro-Light (about $150 with doors and scrims) that would be a good choice.

I'm with Mark, though, the Dedolights are wonderful little units, and my first choice for hair lights.

Bill Hamell August 8th, 2007 04:57 PM

I use an Arri 150 with black wrap, and use C47s to clip on ND, Opal defusion or 1/2CTB as needed.

I use a C-Stand two gripheads and an extention arm (as needed) to hang it.

Bill

Mark Bournes August 8th, 2007 05:39 PM

I use a 250 watt light, dimmer, gels, c47's barn doors, basically whatever makes it look the best.