DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   How to use lowel pro light for on camera use (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/101811-how-use-lowel-pro-light-camera-use.html)

R. Phil Johnston August 21st, 2007 08:56 PM

How to use lowel pro light for on camera use

Hi folks,

Im doing a bit of filming at a trade show... interviews etc.. and im guessing ill need an on camera light.

I got a very basic canon light when i got the camera (xh-a1) but im not really fond of how it looks.

I have a Lowel pro light for the studio and have read these can be turned into on camera lights with some accessories. i have checked the lowel site but im still not clear on what i need or how it works? what all do i need? how do i power it etc.

If any of you super smart folks with experience of this setup could shed some "light" (sorry!) on how to do this for me id be more than grateful.

Thanks Phil.

Les Wilson August 26th, 2007 08:45 PM

You need to buy a 12v bulb, a 12v battery, and the right cable to adapt the Pro's IEC connector to the battery you chose. I recommend finding the cable first and then choosing a battery based on the connectors that your cable offers.

All that gives you battery powered light. You still need to mount the light on your camera.

David Tamés August 26th, 2007 10:10 PM

To mount the Lowel Pro light to a camera with a shoe mount, you need a Lowel Cam-link and a Lowel Low-link, see lowel.com/prolight/prolight_e.html for part numbers and further details.

David Tamés August 27th, 2007 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R. Phil Johnston (Post 732266)
Im doing a bit of filming at a trade show... interviews etc.. and im guessing ill need an on camera light [...]

From an aesthetic perspective, I would only use a camera light for gentle fill (helps in a trade-show environment which sometimes has harsh overhead lighting), not as the key, the full-frontal angle is not flattering at all, as it flattens out the face. In any case, don't forget to add some diffusion to the camera light to soften the source.

R. Phil Johnston August 27th, 2007 05:26 PM

re

thanks guys! as always great info much appreciated!

R. Phil Johnston August 27th, 2007 05:30 PM

re

one more quickie....

will i need to use any type of gel to match the type of lights there will be at the trade show?

Im guessing its hard to tell exactly what type of lights the main floor will have or some of the stands..

I guess as long as it looks decent enough and i get good sound it should be ok.

Heiko Saele September 4th, 2007 02:27 PM

I guess I'm late and you already filmed the show. However I always take with me 216 WD, 1/2 WD, 1/4 CTB, 1/2 CTB, 1/4 CTO and Cosmetic Rouge for my on camera light (Sachtler Reporter 75 with a 50W Osram Xenophot brand bulb).
The crucial gels in my opinion are WD, 1/2 CTB, 1/4 CTB and 1/4 CTO (tungsten lighting is usually between 2700 and 3000K and the xenophot bulbs are 3400 with a fresh battery belt, so the 1/4 CTO comes in handy).