DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old September 12th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Softbox shapes

Up until now, I've used reflectors and frames/silks as my only means to diffuse light in both interview and fiction setups. Though I do like this method, I think it's about time I buy at least one softbox (a kit with a fixture so I don't have to sacrifice any of my current lights) just to make certain situations a little easier. I've done some research on the matter and I'd love it if someone can confirm/correct the following observations (taking into consideration that I'm not looking for versatility, but a fixture/box kit for that purpose only):

Rifa - quick and easy but pricey.

Chimera - industry standard. less than Rifa but not as fast or easy to set up/break down.

Photoflex - best priced of all. chimera copy with similar or even identical construction/options. less than both of the above.

These all have their advantages, I'm sure. I'm leaning a bit towards Photoflex because they have a very tempting deal until the end of the year which is, buy a 3 foot Octodome kit (with fixture) and get a free second fixture and speed ring. Is there any reason why I SHOULDN'T go with this?

Also, what's the advantage/disadvantage of Octagon boxes versus a rectangle one with similar dimensions?

Thanks a lot!

~~Dave
Dave Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dodds View Post
Also, what's the advantage/disadvantage of Octagon boxes versus a rectangle one with similar dimensions?

Thanks a lot!

~~Dave
Biggest different is the shape of the catch light/reflection. an octodome gives you closer to a round highlight in eyes/chrome, where a box is a square.

different strokes for folks and all that.

I had a 5 foot octodome for awhile. Mine was rated for strobes only. Maybe the newer ones can do hotlights, but at the time (5 years ago?) the only hotlight option from them was one of those photoflex pseudo-chinalamp-chimeras (like a softbox but you could also rip the sides off and have it be like a big china ball... pretty cool, actually)

I bought a medium softbox from britek. Its cheap as chips, but so far has held up to moderate abuse. for $50, i dont really care that it takes a few more minutes to assemble/break down. For the money i'd rather have an arri fresnel 650 and a cheapy softbox than one of the photoflex funky fixtures. The fresnel would be useful even w/o it.

my 2 random cents.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management