Why is the skin of everybody so soft and beautiful on Oprah at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old September 28th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #1
Trustee

Why is the skin of everybody so soft and beautiful on Oprah

Does anybody know exactly how Oprah is shot to give that sharp, clear image, but soft enough to geive everybody perfect and glowing skin?

Is it the expensive cameras, some kind of processing, a filter, just the lighting, or what exact combination.

Thank you!
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
Does anybody know exactly how Oprah is shot to give that sharp, clear image, but soft enough to geive everybody perfect and glowing skin?

Is it the expensive cameras, some kind of processing, a filter, just the lighting, or what exact combination.

Thank you!

I'm guessing it is a professionally mixed combination of the high quality cameras and glass, a mix of digital and optical filtering, expert creative lighting, and nearly alarming quantities of craftily applied makeup.

As far as skin softeness - perhaps Oprah's BMI helps to some degree. Plus, she's a chick.

-Jon
Old September 30th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #3
Trustee

uh, its what the skin detail circut is for... to smooth skin tones out. of course there is the barbra wawa look where not only do you crank the skin tone up, but you slap on heavy diffusion on the lens too.

also oprah as great makeup artists. every little bit contributes.

1. smooth makeup
2. skin detail circut cranked up
3. diffusions on lens if needed
4. soft light that doesn't bring out wrinkles
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #4
Trustee

Oprah's ability to see into the distant future allowed her to tape all her episodes until 2014 back in 1998 when she had flawless skin. She wore adjustable padding during the taping to simulate changes in her body mass index. Yes, Oprah is that powerful.

I think it's the makeup.

Seriously, I almost wish there was a forum for makeup technique around here so I could learn more about how to do makeup for HD. I just can't go to some fashion web page and learn there. They don't speak the same language that is spoken in my brain. At my age, I still get acne (grr) and so do some of the people I want to work with on screen. It would be nice to know how to deal with changing skin conditions. Also, since there is a risk of sunburn year-round here, I have other possible continuity issues to think about. It also is always warm here and I'm wondering what people can do to keep makeup working if an actor sweats. Most importantly, HDV doesn't deal with highlights as well as film so it might be nice to knock down shine without transforming some macho-looking character into a metrosexual. I would also like to know what is feasible with makeup in real low-budget shooting conditions.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 04:15 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I agree with Marcus

I'd like to have a section on this site for make up artists / tips / techniques for film making or even basic interviews all need some sort of make up to prevent things like hot spots and lighting issues. Perhaps even applying bruises and blood.
Old September 30th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
I almost wish there was a forum for makeup technique around here so I could learn more about how to do makeup for HD.
Marcus, I can tell you what local news is doing for HD. The talent now has their make-up applied by airbrush. Using the old standard of sponges and pads leaves a layer that is thick enough to really show up in HD.

I searched the web for air brush make-up and got several hits. You might want to seek out some of that information.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Agree

Hi:

Totally agreed about all of the makeup comments. But don't forget, a woman who is worth billions of dollars can afford the best, including the best cameras, lenses, lighting directors, etc. Never underestimate how good a $300,000.00 studio camera with a $100,000 lens can make you look.

I can make people look very good with good skin tones and smoothness with the HVX. But if I shoot side by side with a Varicam or F900, the people are usually going to look better on the more expensive cams.

Hair and makeup are important and yes, HD does show everything so hair and makeup artists are having to take it up a few notches to keep up.

Best,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #8
Trustee

Thanks, Greg. "Airbrush makeup" was very helpful. It's technical nature makes it's language more like my internal dialog. That search helped me with ideas and there is even a decent website of a local company that specializes in airbrush makeup for weddings and also does seminars and supplies equipment. It seems that the makeup industry has paid attention to the change to HD.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #9
Major Player

Pricey equipment can make a big difference indeed. I had a beginner's lighting seminar once in a well-equipped studio (but surely not as well as an expensive show like Oprah). We practised a standard 3-point lighting with fresnels (big 2K Arris, the lamps were really old, though...)
The camera was a big studio camera (the ones with the huge lenses on a Vinten pump studio tripod), the mixer a DD30. The result looked so amazing compared to anything I ever achieved with our 1/2" studio camera, news quality lens and little jvc km5000 mixer.
The lighting was just hard lighting, standard 3-point like out of a school book. Totally un-creative and simple, but the quality of the equipment made it look amazing.

And of course the make-up makes a big difference. I have seen a lot of people going in front of the camera with just a little powder, and other people who went in front of the camera after an hour of make-up and hairdressing. The latter look totally over-made up when you see them, but in front of the camera it just looks better.

And also of course a good skin-detail algorithm can make the hell of a difference...

Last edited by Heiko Saele; October 12th, 2007 at 04:01 PM.
Heiko Saele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
...yes, HD does show everything...
And yet it's at best no sharper than a 2 megapixel digital still camera, so not nearly what we would consider a clear image for photographs. It's a little odd how cautious people are being about seeing facial features in HD, but I suppose compared to SD it can be disconcerting.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #11
Trustee

For budget and 1/3 chip HDV cams you can easily use a Tiffen FX soft filter. These have small lenslets embedded that cut down small blemishes but keep large details (the eyes, etc.) sharp.

Example here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...oft_F_X_3.html

There are different sizes and strengths. I use a 1/4 soft 4x4 in a matte box and it works wonders average folks with little or no makeup.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management