Kino Flo Kamio? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 6th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Kino Flo Kamio?

Anyone use this and have a real life experience and also able to say what f stop at a given iso/distance/shutter speed? Also is it the same for both daylight and tungsten WB or which are you using?

I know I usually shoot a camera that is about 320iso, and shoot at 1/48th to 1/60th and like to be at f3.4 so I am as wide open as possible outside of any zoom, so I would love to know how much light this puts out at say 6 to 10 feet. Thanks.

Old October 6th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #2
Major Player

At about 5 feet you get around 10FC. I don't have a meter in front of me so I'll have to run some things in my head, but with a 320ASA I don't think you'll get anything usable at 3.4, and probably not even at 2.0 either.

I'm not 100% on the latter part, but the 10FC is from the site itself. http://kinoflo.com/12VDC%20Systems/K...otometrics.htm

~~Dave
Dave Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #3
Major Player

can that be right? thats almost no light. how is it useful for anything other than putting a sparkle in an eye? even an interview setting you would likely need more light than that.

I get about 2.8 at 1/48th at 320 at 1 meter from 600lux which is about 57.6 fc so 10fc would get almost no light, if they are right on there numbers thats really expensive for a product that produces such little light.
Stephen Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Well, it's not really meant for interview settings except for maybe a catchlight (if that). What I've seen this used for most (aside from the catch) is on steadicams tracking back (around 3 feet away) as a fill. This is really intended for close stuff as a fill and I think more often as an eyelight.

Check out the Litepanels ring light. http://www.ringlite.com/ It seems to put out a little more and it has two different models.

Also try http://www.gekkotechnology.com/menu.html. They have some interesting stuff. Apparently, the Kisslite throws abuot 60FC at 5 ft for the daylight moden (which gives off more than the tungsten one). There's your 2.8. I know that's not ideal and we have no clue about cost.

I have no idea about the prices for the two models I mentioned above, but they both have options with higher outputs. For all I know, they may be incredibly expensive.

What is it that you want this light for exactly?

~~Dave
Dave Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dodds View Post

What is it that you want this light for exactly?

~~Dave
I would like it usable for fill on a set with a model at least 5 feet away, but in reality that is not possible with this little amount of light, in order for it to be effective and produce a nice light you would have to be very close to the model/actress at which point the perspective becomes one I am not at all happy with, I like long lenses so shooting a face with a wide angle close up just looks unappealing to me. I will look into other alternatives, the ringlite is possible but 10,000.00 for a set up made by litepanel thats the 19inch model. Thats a bit much for a limited use light like this, I am sure for that price I can find or make or have made a viable alternative. I was just hoping there was one already out there....

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.StephenEastwood.com
Stephen Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #6
DVi Contributor

then you should look at some of the 12 volt HMI on camera lights. THese ring lights are for closeup work. PAG makes a very strong 12 volt on camera HMI.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #7
Major Player

I cannot seem to find any PAG ringlights only standard on camera lights. I have more than I need of on camera lights from LED, to HMI to tungsten, they all are fine for what they are, I am looking for a ringlight, just not the kamio given the power or lack of it.
Stephen Eastwood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management