Hardware Store Clamp On Lamps for Location/Indoor Shoots at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old June 6th, 2003, 10:27 AM   #1
Trustee

Hardware Store Clamp On Lamps for Location/Indoor Shoots

Has anybody ever tried utilizing hardware store style clamp on lamps, regular everyday tungsten household bulbs and the 5, 81/2 and 10 inch reflectors for location/indoor video shoots? I believe you can get bulb wattages starting at 40 all the way up to 300 watts without having to spend a firtune on photofloods at the photo supply joints. What were your results? I am vascillating between purchasing these as opposed to the expensive models at photo stores. Thanks for any and all help.
Hugh DiMauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2003, 06:10 PM   #2
Major Player

The results are fantastic. The price they charge for umbrellas and photofloods is what the market will bare, but in reality, you can get the same tools for much cheaper at hardware or lighting stores.
John Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2003, 08:00 PM   #3
Trustee

I would say you can get by with the clamp on reflectors. It sure beats no lighting at all but regardless of opinions , you do get what you pay for.
Specialty lighting is a small market and prices will be higher. Look at what we pay for our cameras.

You can even buy barn doors for some of these cheapo aluminum reflectors. Look around, they make adapters so that you can mount the clamp on fixture to a light stand. With a little imagination you can have a ball. There a whole whack of reasonably priced adapters and clamps that will allow you to use these lights with reflecting umbrellas, fix them to stands and clamp them to almost anything. (The supplied clamps are scary stuff) It's a place to start, pretty soon you'll want better, more controlable lights.

The color temps won't be right on but who cares, just do a white balance and have fun.

If you buy stands, don't buy cheap crap. You'll just have to spend that much more to upgrade.

I'm speaking from experience, 35 years ago I couldn't affort the high end stuff. If I hadn't experimented I wouldn't have learned anything.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2003, 08:12 PM   #4
Major Player

I haven't used tungstens with them, but, I have tried some of the better compact fluorescent bulbs with good results.
Old June 7th, 2003, 08:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Halogens are always nice for a real hot spot for high contrast dramatic fall off.
John Threat is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management