Outside lighting? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 28th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Outside lighting?

I'm sure everyone has seen outside lighting like in the woods you'll see a bright light with tons of fog and maybe someone outside on a wet road... But the effect I am trying to achieve is that of like Jeepers Creepers 2... When all the kids are in the field and it's fairly light out but you don't see any particular lights shining on them when it's zoomed out pretty well... Can anyone tell me how I can light a decent size away from my subject in a field (I have a generator. )
Scott Delish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 03:07 AM   #2
Trustee

If you want to get the look of no lighting hardware in the scene, you need to get it up high. The way that it is done that looks the most natural is a single daylight-balanced light way up high and behind the actors. This somewhat simulates moonlight which is daylight color. Putting the light behind and to the side of the actors keeps them mostly in shadow but creates a rim/accent light. To get the exposure up, you can put some practicals in the scene like lamps or flashlights. It helps if they are a lower color temperature from your "moon" light. You can also use a daylight-color huge soft fill on the camera side to bring up the "moon" light exposure. For your light up high, the best would be something like an HMI which is by nature daylight color and very bright for its power usage. Also, remember that you need 4x the watts for every time you double the distance. If you want to get the brightness of a 1K light on a 10' stand but you want to put your light 20' in the air, you need a 4K light. The rule of thumb for HMI or fluorescent lights is that they are about 4x as strong per watt than tungsten. If you want the brightness of a 5K tungsten, rent a 1.2K HMI and it should be fairly close. The 1.2K HMI will actually be brighter if you put full CTB in front of a 5K tungsten to get daylight color. CTB gel really eats light.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

How much would this kit cost approximately?
Scott Delish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management