DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 4th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Softboxes

Out of curiosity, is it better to buy a speed ring to use a softbox on an open-faced 1K ArriLite, or a 650Watt fresnel Arri Jr Plus?

I noticed the Arrilite speed ring (the 2900) is less expensive than the one I would need for the 650 fresnel, and I plan to use it with a Chimera Video Pro Plus 1 size small, so I'm wondering. If I'm using it on a 1K light, is it overkill for a size small soft box, is it better to use it on the 650 in this case?

Would a medium size softbox be more practical than using a small size softbox?

This setup will be used probably 95% exclusively indoors in my apartment. I'm not concerned with convenience of transportation. And they'll mostly be used to achieve a softer light for short & simple drama films.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 12:37 PM   #2
Major Player

Hmmm. I think my decision is already made for me. The B&H compatibility says that I can't use a small softbox on anything higher than 750w. So I would need to down-lamp the Arrilite if I wanted to.

So, is it better to just use a medium size softbox on the 650 fresnel, or save up to buy the bigger softbox and use it with the open-faced 1K?
Old November 4th, 2007, 01:14 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm not an expert on soft-boxes, but I think it's safe to say that with a fresnel in a softbox, you won't get as even a spread as with an open-faced source. It's just the nature of the lights. The fresnel has a focused beam and a lot of it is going to be going exactly where it's aimed, so you'll get a noticeable hotspot on the face of the box. With an open-faced source, the light will just bounce all over the place in the box and the hotspot (if there is any) will be less than noticeable, giving you a more even, soft light.

In short, if your budget allows, I would get a box for the 1k.

~~Dave

Last edited by Dave Dodds; November 4th, 2007 at 05:09 PM. Reason: realized that you weren't considering buying one of the above-mentioned lights, but instead wanting a box for what you have.
Dave Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

In order to accommodate the narrower beam of a Fresnel light Chimera makes a softbox that is about 50% deeper than a standard softbox.

http://www.chimeralighting.com/produ...fm?productid=3

On equivalent wattage lights (650 Fresnel vs. 650 open face) an open face will deliver considerably more output than a Fresnel and a better choice for softboxes.
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Hmmm. Maybe I can use the small Chimera Video Pro with the ArriLite 1K. B&H Photo listed it as only being compatible up to 750watts. Yet, the Chimera Catalog says it should be good up to 1000 watts. I guess B&H just made a mistake.

Anyone use this combination of products with success?
Cause I'd really rather not spend the extra cash on the medium size Chimera because I really don't need it that big.
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #6
Major Player

I use the Chimera Video Pro Plus 1 size small on a Lowel DP 1k all the time with no problems.
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #7
Major Player

Great news... Thanks!

Is it risky to buy softboxes used from eBay? I don't suppose they wear and tear that much, do they?
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #8
Major Player

Anytime I've hired Chimera kits, I've always had them with Arri HMI fresnels.
That's been 1.2k and 2.5k fixtures, the 2.5 was supplied with the biggest Chimera I've ever seen!

Anyway I left the fresnels on full wide when in the boxes and it worked very well.

Open face lights are probably only marginally better than properly made modern fresnels in softboxes.

If I had to choose between fresnels and openfaced on a shoot I'd take fresnel everytime. They are more controllable when used as a hardlight but still work well in a softbox. Of course Fresnels are more expensive, and heavier.

You could always try and take the lens off a fresnel if you are using it in a chimera. See what difference it makes, dunno.
Duncan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #9
Trustee

"You could always try and take the lens off a fresnel if you are using it in a chimera."

Doesn't the lens provide physical protection as well as UV blocking in an HMI?
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #10
Major Player

I meant on the 650w halogen, not in a discharge fixture.
Only to get more spread in the softbox.

To the OP.

You should do a quick bit of testing with your 650w fixture. Find out the size and depth of the softbox you are thinking of, then work out if your fresnel will at the least light the whole front of the softbox.

You could ask if they are made of proper materials if you get them from ebay. Maybe there's a particular ISO standard relating to this sort of use.

Duncan.
Duncan Craig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management