DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:18 PM   #16
Major Player

Guy,

that Senheisser mic looks and sounds awesome. What's that retail for?

The LP micro looks good as well. I noticed you said "very little color shift", whereas the others I mentioned, you say it produces no color shift whatsoever. A bit of a concern for me, but how much will the new LP micro lights go for? If it'll cost a fraction of what the others cost, then it'd be worth it, but if it'll cost me about the same, I'd rather get myself the bigger ones.

Thanks for the info, Guy.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:23 PM   #17
Major Player

It costs about US$350 ... retail price will be less from dealers. Run from 4 AA batteries (either Alkalines or NiMH).
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 10:23 PM   #18
Major Player

Wow, that's not a bad price at all! Right now I'm seriously considering the Litepanels from DVcreators.net. This one seems to be a great choice as well.

Unfortunately, Guy didn't really show their effectiveness in the video he posted, but if they're anything like the current litepanels, they're worth the investment.

I'd like to know where I can buy that Sennheiser mic though, I can't find it on dvcreators.net
Old January 2nd, 2008, 10:51 PM   #19
Major Player

Go to www.litepanels.com and they have a nice video and writeup there. Won't be available yet until end Jan / early Feb. I have asked ZGC.COM to check for me the price they are selling. I suspect it will be something like $300.

As for the mic, I have no idea where you can get it in US - I am from Singapore. Maybe you try B&H, or any of the big pro audio houses in US?
Old January 3rd, 2008, 12:31 AM   #20
DVCreators.Net

Very little color shift meaning it is close to 0. However, until the technology for white LED is perfected, there is a very, very minor shift towards magenta.

We will have the new Litepanels LP Micro by the end of the month. They are available for pre-order now. http://www.dvcreators.net/litepanels-lp-micro/ We should be among the first to receive shipment. Use coupon code "dvinfo" to shave another 5% off.

The Sennheiser micro supercardioid MKE400 mic can be found here http://www.dvcreators.net/the-sennhe...0-shotgun-mic/
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:24 AM   #21
Major Player

Thanks for the info and links Guy!
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:44 AM   #22
Regular Crew

LP Micro

Hey Guy,

Got these in stock yet?
Benjamin Cord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #23
DVCreators.Net

We'll have them at the end of January. Our first shipment is almost all spoken for! These are going to be a big hit.
Old January 14th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #24
New Boot

Evening guys. I was glad I found this thread as I didn't really want to start another on the same subject and look like a fool when someone posted a link to another thread :D

Anyway I am also on the lookout for an onboard mic for an XL2. I wont be using it for weddings, but to film a mocumentary at night following around police officers. Due to cash flow I shall be hiring the light, but does anyone know if any of these three are any good for the sort of thing I am looking to do?

http://www.hireacamera.com/camcorder..._menulight.asp
James Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
However, as with any front mounted lights, there is hardly any modelling - shadows are harsh.
You can always use something like the paglight extender arm http://www.paglight.com/mountingoptions.htm to mount the light off of the lens angle. It will still be pretty front mounted and harsh, but not as much.
Heiko Saele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #26
Major Player

James,

That depends on far or near you are from the police officers ... and whether the lights are TOO bright ... you don't want to irritate the police officers when they are doing an official job, right? Any light of whatever power can be too bright or too dim - so, it is hard to tell - because it depends on the distance you are from the subject.

I used my Anton Bauer Ultralight 2 - and at night, subjects within about 5m are adequately lit. But, the angle of coverage is a bit narrow - something you should check out - depending on the lens you are using.
Old January 29th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #27
Regular Crew

It's the end of January

Guy, Any delivery news on the Micro? I have had my order in for a couple weeks and I'm chomping at the bit to try out the new light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran View Post
We'll have them at the end of January. Our first shipment is almost all spoken for! These are going to be a big hit.
Steve Sobodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #28
DVCreators.Net

Confirmed. We will begin shipping on Friday. Yea!
Old January 29th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #29
Major Player

Steve,

Read this ...
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=113390

It is very good - especially if you use the e2 Lithium AA batteries - 7 hours per pop of 4 batteries. And weighs next to nothing :-).
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #30
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Jones View Post
Interesting. I checked out the link and hadn't seen this light before. Something I might check out when I have upgrades in my budget. I currently use a Bescor kit with a nice little hinged filter, barn doors, on-board dimmer and a velcro-mounted diffuser. Really good kit for a modest budget. For what I need it to do, it works really well, but it is also one of the type that uses the 4 pin connector to a lead-acid battery...which gets really really heavy after a while.

-Jon
The Sony HVL light is a great one. Probably the best LED light in regards to light distrubution (spread/distance/intensity).

Great dimmer, battery run time, stays cool always (as do most LEDs).
the ony real downside to it, is that it's one big, heavy, honkin light. You might have trouble with it is you are front mounting the light.

I have mine mounted on the handle using a Delcam mount. Keeps my camera balanced better.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management