DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   need help putting kit together (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/111987-need-help-putting-kit-together.html)

Andzei Matsukevits January 9th, 2008 04:24 AM

need help putting kit together

hello,
I thought about buying some hard lights(probably Arri). Mostly, I shoot with HVX and M2 adapter. I like to shoot slow motion and with fast shutter a lot. I already have some home-built flos and reflectors, now I need hard lights.

I was thinking about getting a 3x800w redheads and one 2000w blonde. A experienced DP told me though, that redheads are more like umbrella lights and might not be powerful enaugh. So now, Im really thinking, 3 redheads cost almost as much as 3 2000w blondes(i can get cheap tripods from local shops). The more light I have, the better it is, and if they are too powerful, I can silk or net them. Is my way of thinking correct? Any suggestions are welcome!

Are (Arri) tungsten lamps flicker free? Can i go fast shutter and fast fps with them?

Seth Bloombaum January 9th, 2008 11:42 AM

Yes, tungsten is going to give you much more light for the weight and size than flo. No, there is no flicker with tungsten at high shutter speeds and slomo.

Look carefully at your 2000w - possibly, you can get a 1000w lamp for it if you find it too bright. This flexibility will help a lot.

Is 800w powerful enough for HVX/M2/fast shutter/slomo? You should test it, can you rent or demo an 800w light? It's certainly a very valid concern, but your tests would mean so much more than my opinions!

Andzei Matsukevits January 9th, 2008 12:59 PM

thanks Seth,

yes I can actually rent them and test, just need some organizing...

I didn't know that you can put 1000w bulb into 2000w lamphead, that would help a lot actually.

Bill Pryor January 9th, 2008 10:11 PM

The Redheads are very good open face lights and will put out as much light as any other equivalent open face light. Usually you want to use some type of diffusion gel on hard lights like that.

Michael Nistler January 10th, 2008 04:36 AM

Hi Andzei,

If you're in a studio, the Arri is a great light. The Lowel isn't as rugged, lacks fresnel focusing, etc but weighs less if you're using gear on location and have weight restrictions (plane flight). Also, in some Countries, a 2,000 watt light may exceed the power available (15 watt circuit breaker in U.S. homes).

Good luck, Michael

Andzei Matsukevits January 10th, 2008 10:04 AM

thanks for advice,

Lowel lights are nice, but Im located in Europe and its much harder to get them here...

Description of Arrilite says, that its a focusing floodlight. Does it mean I can focus manually? If yes then what it the difference between arrilite and fresnels?

Seth Bloombaum January 10th, 2008 11:33 AM

Arrilite is an open face light, certainly one of the best open face. As such, its focus control will vary the beam-spread (and intensity) over a narrow range.

Arri fresnel is a very good fresnel, it has a lens. Fresnels focus beam-spread over a broader range, and focus will also vary the hardness of the edge of the beam (and the shadow-edge of any cookies or cutters). In general, a fresnel is more controllable and will not splash so much light outside the beam as an open face. Splash can also be somewhat controlled with barn doors.

The open will be lighter by far, as well as less expensive. They are very popular for travel kits for that reason... and also do fine in a softbox (Chimera) and with reflectors.

Fresnel are much more accepted for serious lighting and for studio work. Lots of travel kits have fresnel as a backlight, because splash is always an important issue for the back light.

I like both the Arrilite and Arri fresnel very much. They are popular in rental shops because the are accepted by renters and very durable. The actual Redheads and Blondes are from Ianro, but the names are sometimes used to describe any similar open-faced light. Here in the upper left corner of the U.S. Arri are much more popular and available, but, Ianro is also a very fine light that gets a lot of respect here and even more in the E.U.

Andzei Matsukevits January 11th, 2008 03:59 AM

thanks a lot, now its clear for me.

the last question: I was planning to get them from here: http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/publi...er=arri_blonde

but it says that power plug is not included. Are Arri lamps using some kind of regular type of power plugs, which I could get from local store, or not?