DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 28th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #1
Major Player

Litepanels LP-Micro

I got mine today !!! Tested its brightness ... my conclusion? Run - not walk to your nearest Litepanels distributor and grab one off his hands ... for its size and weight, the brightness certainly surprises me. It gonna be superglued to my HVX202 from now onwards :-).
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TingSern Wong View Post
I got mine today !!! Tested its brightness ... my conclusion? Run - not walk to your nearest Litepanels distributor and grab one off his hands ... for its size and weight, the brightness certainly surprises me. It gonna be superglued to my HVX202 from now onwards :-).
Hi, could you tell us more about your Litepanels LP-Micro? What are theirthe pros and cons?
Thanks
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 06:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Can you tell me if it is possible to decrease or increase the power of the light, please?
Old January 30th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Pros - it weighs next to nothing. Especially when you put the Energizer e2 Lithium AA inside. It is very bright at full power from such a small thing. Angle of coverage is about 75 degrees (estimated). You can vary the power from full all the way to zero - in fact, the same button acts as a off/on switch as well. Using normal Alkalines - I get about 1.5 hours at full power. If I use e2 Lithium batteries, I get about 7 hours at full power. If I use less than full power, battery life goes up.

Cons - well, hard to find one so far. The filter holder does not have a catch to lock the filter in place - so, one has to be careful when lifting the holder upwards.

My unit has a loose battery clip - when you insert a battery, the battery pushes the clip downwards. I fixed it by applying a drop of superglue. No problems after that.

It is not meant as a wide area fill light - and should not be thought of one. Because it is so light - leaving it mounted on the hotshoe on my HVX202 is indeed possible. Then whenever you want a light for close fill in, it is there.
Old January 30th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Pros - it weighs next to nothing. Especially when you put the Energizer e2 Lithium AA inside. It is very bright at full power from such a small thing. Angle of coverage is about 75 degrees (estimated). You can vary the power from full all the way to zero - in fact, the same button acts as a off/on switch as well. Using normal Alkalines - I get about 1.5 hours at full power. If I use e2 Lithium batteries, I get about 7 hours at full power. If I use less than full power, battery life goes up.

Cons - well, hard to find one so far. The filter holder does not have a catch to lock the filter in place - so, one has to be careful when lifting the holder upwards.

My unit has a loose battery clip - when you insert a battery, the battery pushes the clip downwards. I fixed it by applying a drop of superglue. No problems after that.

It is not meant as a wide area fill light - and should not be thought of one. Because it is so light - leaving it mounted on the hotshoe on my HVX202 is indeed possible. Then whenever you want a light for close fill in, it is there.
Very very interesting reply. I will buy it as soon as possible.
Could you tell me if it is possible to use rechargeable batteries?
In your opinion is Litepanels LP-Microor better than a halogen light for getting better image quality of flesh-coloured (complexion)?
thanks
Old January 30th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #6
Major Player

Do you know a online shop where I have to buy it?
Old January 30th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #7
Major Player

Halogen light is yellow - unless you have a diachronic filter. It is also very hot and drinks a lot of battery power. This LP-micro is very cool - in fact, after running it for 2 hours, the heat is barely felt.

The LED light is white (6000K) - about there. I think if you do a colour calibration on your camera using a white card with the LED light as the primary source, you will get nice colours on your skin tone. It is a cool light - not warm - which is the characteristics of halogen.

I am afraid you can't use NiMH rechargeable batteries because the voltage is too low. This unit requires a minimum of 5V to operate. Most NiMH batteries operate at about 1.2V to 1.3V per cell. It takes 4 batteries ... therefore, you get 4.8V to 5.2V in total. Really, on the borderline.

If you really want rechargeables, you can use 12V input from an external battery - but, that defeats the purpose of carrying the LP-Micro in the first place.

The unit accepts 5V to 12V DC.

Online store - go to www.zgc.com. Ask for Christina. She gives me excellent service. And also ZGC is one of the sponsors for this website too.
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Tingsern,

Do you have an output rating on your light?

I looked at their website and could not get a wattage output comparison. Is it like a 50w, 75w ect...

Also, is there an effective way to get it to match indoor lighting (3200k)?

Thanks
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Halogen light is yellow - unless you have a diachronic filter. It is also very hot and drinks a lot of battery power. This LP-micro is very cool - in fact, after running it for 2 hours, the heat is barely felt.

The unit accepts 5V to 12V DC.
Two questions please:

I think in the night a warmer light ceeates a better ambience, therefore a halogen light wins. Do I make a mistake?

I don't understand "The unit accepts 5V to 12V DC". Could I use 12 volts external batteries too?

thanks for your advice
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #10
Major Player

I don't have any ratings at all - but I would think it is around about 10 watts equivalent. As I said - it is not a wide area fill light - and should not be thought of one. For short range (up to 5m) it is adequate.

If you want to reset the colour balance to 3200K, you can use filters - the unit comes with 2 of them - one of them is meant to drop the colour temperature to 3200K - but the light output will be cut. The other one is a diffuser.

The next best rating I can give you will be this ... using my light meter,

ASA 100, 1/125second, the aperature is f/1.4 at 2 feet from the light.
Measured colour temperature = 5310K.

The supplied colour conversion filter is a bit too much - I measured it at 2740K. You can get Kodak Watten filters for more accurate conversion.
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #11
Major Player

Yes - at night ... use a halogen light - creates a warmer feeling. It depends on what you are trying to do. I intend to use this light for fill-in during the day - to avoid the harsh shadows.

The LP-micro can be powered by either 4 AA batteries (internal) or a standard 2 pole male plug which is connected to a DC source with ratings from 5V to 12V. If you exceed 12V, you can potentially burn the unit out. Less than 5V - the unit won't work.
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #12
Inner Circle

http://www.s131567196.onlinehome.us/products/micro.asp

This is the manufacturers website info on the micro. It is pretty self explainatory.

It looks like a nice oiece of gear which by the way you can purchase a power cord to go with an AB power tap or cig adapter. B&H has the power cords but they do not list the light yet.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #13
Major Player

If you are thinking of using the AB's Power Tap with a Dionics 90 or equivalent LiON battery - DON'T DO THAT !!! The voltage from a Dionics battery is 14.4V nominal - not 12V. You will blow the LP-Micro that way.
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #14
Inner Circle

This is directly from the mfg data sheet and I would have to believe the mfg wouldn't offer the cable nor indicate that the light would be able to use the battery if it would harm the light.

"Not Power Hungry
Litepanels Micro produces 1.5 hours of continuous output from just 4 AA batteries (it's three times more efficient than a conventional tungsten camera light). What's more, it's virtually heat-free so it's easy to handle. And the system can be run off of either standard or rechargeable batteries. Power can optionally be supplied through a convenient 4-14V input jack located on the back of the unit."

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #15
Major Player

Very interesting ... mine says ... 5V to 12V - now I wonder who is right and who is wrong ....

I did test it out with 4 x NiMH batteries - rated at 1.2V each ... it didn't work. The voltage of 4 NiMH batteries = 4.8V to 5.2V (which is borderline). I did try using NiMH - the light did not work.

Therefore I am inclined to believe that 5V to 12V is more accurate than the one in the mfg data sheet - which might not be updated since the product is produced.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management