DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 28th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

best bang for buck light stands?

I'm lookng for some strong sturdy, but cheap lights stands, if there is such a thing. I bought a bunch of cheapies from ebay and they ended up being way to flimsy. Any suggestions?
Ron Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Contributor

I got three stands from http://www.flolight.com/
Go to the accessories page.

They're $60 each, spring loaded and bigger and heavier than I expected for the money. They also spread out wider at the bottom than many other similar stands, so they're more stable. They go to 7-1/2 feet high, which works for me but is not quite as high as some stands I have.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #3
Trustee

all I'll say is, you get what you pay for. stands are really pretty cheap when you consider they are format, resolution, and color depth independent, work well in both film and video, indoors or out regardless of tempature, for the next 20 years. try that most any other gear your get. spending $250 for a triple riser baby stand really isn't that much new. you can also look for used stuff, but skip the really old (red paint if its there ! ) matthews stuff. its not the strongest, and it will be beat up being 30+ years old most often. as for C stands, the knock-offs generally aren't so much less that buying real matthews or avenger for $10-$20 more is in fact the better deal - you know what you are getting and that these things are tough. since thats often the case, might as well get the real thing. a couple of c stands for starters is good, and a couple of baby stand triple risers, with or without wheels.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Try these guys: http://www.pyramid-films.com/

They usually have nice used C-stands for $80, or $150/pair. They're good guys, call 'em and they'll give you current stock. They also have stuff like hi-hi's, and oh yeah... tones & tons of used Moles, Arris, etc.
Michael Carter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management