How can I diffuse a 300W Videolight at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 4th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How can I diffuse a 300W Videolight

Hi! Have bought a 300W Videolight that I can put on the camera. The glass in front is frosted glass (milk glass) but anyhow very shiny elsewise too bright. There are no other filters or so included. Has someone an idea how I could diffuse this light?

Does anybody know if a mini softbox for videolights exists like this one here: http://cgi.ebay.at/Kompakt-Softbox-f...QQcmdZViewItem ? Because I´m shure that it would melt or burn if its plastic with 300W but I´ve seen something like this for videolights different times.

thanks!
Stefan Hoefinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Inner Circle

300W? Wow, that's a lot of light on a camera. I've never had to use more than 100W even when shooting news outside. Anyway to answer your question there are probably more choices but the first 2 that come to mind are 1) change to a lower wattage bulb or 2) get some diffusion material and tape some over the lens of the light. I prefer TuffSpun but there are other names of the material as well. Cut the material bigger than the lens of the light and use some gaffers tape to secure it.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #3
Contributor

Lee 251 diffusion gel is good. You can get gel from almost clear to really heavy diffusion. One sheet cut into little pieces for your light ought to last you a long time. A 300 watt light is really a lot for an on-camera light. You must have one big battery pack with that.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #4
Trustee

In the days of shooting with a Ike ITC-730, we had a 250W camera light. thats a 20+ year old tube camera ! 300W on camera is WAY too much. most folks are using 10-50W on camera. your problem isn't diffusion, its too much light. get a smaller bulb, or toss the light. even one of the mini softboxes won't provide the diffusion you need to make that light look good. What it will do is you'll cut it enough so that it will come down to around 50W and blend into the ambient light.

personally I would on occasional use a 20W anton bauer ultra light with several layers of full frost on as a subtle fill light. just enough to kick open skin tones a little, but not enough to reveal a lite was on the camera. I haven't used a on camera light though in 7+ years though.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #5
Major Player

If it has barndoors (preferably large ones) then you can just fix diffusion material to the barndoors and have a little softbox. The further away from the source and the bigger the surface of the diffusion material, the softer your light will be. You'd probably need two layers of 216 or Leelux 400 to soften it perfectly. With tough spun one sheet might be enough.

...and yes, 300W is way too much for an on-camera light (unless you are using it as a fill/eyelight on a studio camera where all the surroundings are already lit very brightly). It might also be useful when you want to use it outdoors with 3/4 or full ctb.
Other than that, 50W photo-optic bulbs (which are brighter than normal household halogen bulbs) are perfect for an on-camera light - but even with these you always need WD gel and a dimmer.
Heiko Saele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #6
Major Player

Baking parchment paper also works . . . and is a great buy. It cannot be in direct contact with the lamp, however.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management