Why do they use different colored lights in theatre? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 8th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Why do they use different colored lights in theatre?

Just saw a Julius Ceaser production with my son and we had seats in the front row on the side and I noticed for the first time all the lights were different colors. Green. Red. Couple different purples. What's the philosophy behind this? Is this something big productions do in Hollywood?
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #2
Trustee

With red, green, and blue colored lights on dimmers they can make any color they want. Dim the green and you get purple and any other combination you want. I'm not sure why they would have purple lights unless it was for a specific purpose in that production. Different colors convey different emotions and sometimes different areas of the stage are lit differently to create distance or change the tone of certain characters. I am no stage lighting expert but these are my observations. Actually, I think a class/book on stage lighting would be helpful to videographers since they really have worked out the emotional effects of lighting techniques.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #3
Trustee

Here's a page from Rosco on using colors on stage:
http://www.rosco.com/us/technotes/fi...technote_1.asp

Same page in pdf format:
http://groups.northwestern.edu/lovers/docs/Lights28.pdf

Here are more technotes pages from Rosco that give a lot of basic information:
http://www.rosco.com/us/technotes/filters/

In basic flat stage lighting, sometimes lights coming from one side will be a color different from light coming from the other side to create the a 3d illusion. The side with the bluer/lavender light bill look as in shadow and the amber/yellow side will look like the key side. It is setup so the effect is more subtle than obvious.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #4
Major Player

I knew there was a reason but I didn't realize it would be so intricate.

Jack, those links were fascinating. Thanks. I think I will order a few filters and mess around with different colored lights and see what happens.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management