DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 16th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks. Specific to your lights you sell (the 650w eqv. 5400K), would a 5000K bulb (hence 400K difference) be very noticeable?
400K is not that much of a difference, even more so in the 5K-6K range. The Kelvin scale is not linear. That means if you use a 5000K light in a 6000K surrounding it doesn't stand out as much as if you use a 4000K light in a 3000K surrounding.
You can see that the Kelvin scale is not linear in this graphic:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:PlanckianLocus.png
Even in the 3000K range a difference of 400K is manageable, and above 6000 a difference of 400K is negligible.
Heiko Saele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
I've been using the Philips 950 T8 5000K tubes which are advertised with a high CRI, although they're not available at Home Depot. The trouble with these is that you usually have to buy a case of them from wholesalers. I think you mentioned buying 20 bulbs, so the case is closer to what you want at about $8/tube. Try this source for both your spirals and tubes:
http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/eca...p?search=5000k

I bought the cheapo Lithonia four tube T8 fixture from Home Depot for something like $35 and replaced the Ts. Home Depot also carries the excellent Philips ColorTone50 T12 tubes, and if you break the case, you can buy them for half the price of the individually-packaged tubes.

Oh, I just noticed Mr. Andrewski in this thread. Consider checking out his Cool Lights instructional DVD.
Thanks for the kind words Gints.

One thing about Home Depot is that they are not always consistent in what they carry from market to market. I believe I have seen those Phillips 950 (9 stands for CRI 90ish / 50 stands for Color temp 5000K) tubes before at a Home Depot so its entirely possible you may be able to get them or an equivalent T8 there in 5000K depending upon your "luck" at your local Home Depot.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management