Are you using CFL? Which brands and watt? How using them? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 5th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Are you using CFL? Which brands and watt? How using them?

Hi,

I located a store that has the N:vision 60 watt CFL bulbs. Anyone using the same?

I'd like to know which model CFL bulbs, if any, you are using and the watts.

I have a simple interview project that I'm finally finding the time to do and would like to hear about other's experience using CFL bulbs.

Thank you,
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 02:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Yes they are. Here's one discussion about it:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...n%3Avision

We've talked about them a lot. You can use the search function to find all the different threads. Basically, everyone that's used them felt they were pretty adequate. As to how many you need, that depends upon your camera, the size of the area to be lit, etc. The common source for these is Home Depot and they usually only have actual wattages up to about 30 or 40 watts. Where did you find a 60 watt and was that the actual wattage its drawing or was that the equivalent wattage where its saying that it will replace a 60w tungsten bulb? If thats the case, you have a 15w bulb which is not so intense and you'll need a lot of those to help.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Good Information Richard.
It can be a little confusing on the actual wattage usage and equivalent light output. I use (18) 100 watt equivalent daylight balanced Nvision CFL's from Home Depot. I use 2 fixtures. I find a lot of benefits:
The light output is soft yet potent.
They use 27 watts each (243 watts for my 9 bulb fixture)which easily runs off my car inverter.
The color is easily White Balanced
The cost is great.

Gary
Gary Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #4
New Boot

CFL's and color temp

I just got done fooling around with a homemade light (got the case from the Habitat store for 5 bucks). After playing around with the various types -- daylight, soft, etc., I noticed that 3 daylights and 2 softs in the same box come in at about 3400 K.

Anyone ever tried mixing and matching same wattage bulbs of different types to get a specific color temp?

Anyone see any problems with that?

I have attached my light. Still needs some refinements. Mainly reflectivity.

Thanks,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Are you using CFL? Which brands and watt? How using them?-light.jpg  
Mark Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #5
Trustee

Home Depot have a 3500K version of the nvision as well as daylight and soft white. I think they call the 3500K "bright white".
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #6
Major Player

CFL's

Hi,

I've been delayed getting back to the forum....

I called a Home Depot to see what they had available. The guy was busy with customers at the time and didn't provide much help other than to say he had a 60 watt available. I'm planning to go and take a look for myself and wondering which of the N:vision CFL's will be best for my set-up.

I have a small interior area that I have to light. I have a backdrop that will be hanging and one person to light that will be sitting. I currently have 3 scoops but need the bulbs. I also have 1-2 500 watt worklights available.

Any suggestions as to which of the N:vision CFL's work best is appreciated. I noticed they have the soft light, daylight and bright white in a variety of watts on http://www.nvisioncfl.com/ProductLis...ID=1&PageID=24

Thanks in advance.
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #7
Trustee

Lisa, more light is better so get the brightest lamps that fit in your fixtures. If you want to match the color of fluorescents to your halogen worklights, get the "soft white" lamps that are about 2700Kelvin. If you have any sunlight coming into the room, skip the halogens and go with all "daylight" CFLs at about 5500Kelvin.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management