Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 9th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #1
New Boot

Poll -- What to do with 2k Mole Jr. Fresnel

Leave it as is? It works.

Convert to "HMI" CMH

Most votes wins.

The Cool Lights HMI discussion has piqued my curiosity about just how this could work.
Mark Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Leave it as-is and get a large chimera for it, at least 4'x4', but maybe larger.

And of course dedicate one 20amp electrical circuit to it. If you don't have a circuit for it, then yes, it's a candidate for freakish hybrid experiments or sell it.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #3
New Boot

Ahhhh.... the ubiquitous 20a dedicated circuit.

Unfortunately, my studio electrical arrangement looks like what was behind the tree in "A Christmas Story."

"A quick flash... a whiff of ozone... and..."

That's kind of the deal. Make an insane amount of light with little bitty power.

It would be a fairly easy retrofit. Just finding the right bulb/ballast combination. Like the 400 watt lumenlabs kit, but there's room to go bigger.
Mark Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #4
Trustee

well it depends. is the glass in it good ? or has it gone yellow ? is the reflector good ?

a 575 conversion is one thought if you have the skills & tools. given how ungreen tungsten is, I hate using it now because its just not efficient to use. you can get these lights cheap enough. I would not try a chimera on it because these lights are not the most efficient Fresnel around. better to use an open face if doing a chimera because you get more light per watt. if you want to soften it, a 4X4 silk works well, or frame with 250/251.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management