DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:01 AM   #1
Major Player

Found a neat thing for lighting purposes

Hey guys, I saw a neat thing at Fry's Electronics today. It's a battery powered generator for about $300. A bit less than a similar product from Pelican (Pelican™ 9450 Remote Area Lighting System) minus the LED light though.

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/63/p/1/pt/10/product.asp

Would be nice to use in combination with smaller powered lights. Perhaps really nice for LED lights, I'd imagine.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:23 AM   #2
Major Player

Great find! I think that could definitely have some uses for our type work.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:41 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Not bad.

51 amp hours should yield 3+ hours with a full load.

I wonder how long it takes to recharge.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 06:08 AM   #4
Trustee

I use an Optima marine battery in this same role. It is a sealed non-spilling 55A/H battery that I attach either a 300W or 1750W inverter depending on my purposes. There are cheap computer controlled chargers available at department stores that can charge one of these batteries overnight without overcharging. Chargers now can decrease their amperage and shut off when the battery is fully charged. This Xantrex kit looks nice but I wonder what will be the outcome when the battery needs to be replaced.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 07:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Tim, I think your estimate of 3 hours might be a bit off. According to the spec page, a 1000 watt microwave will run for .2 of an hour I think that's about 12 minutes.
I use a 1200 watt/ 3000 watt surge inverter permanently connected to my car. With a nice long extention cord voila! quiet a/c power.
Gary
Gary Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I might be wrong but I was going on a normal circuit is 15 amps.

51 amp hours would yield 3+ hours given a 15 amp load right?
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #7
Major Player

Sorry Tim,
Circuit capacity has nothing to do with power consumption. Watts divided by volts gives you amps - nothing for time in that equation. Amp hours is the capacity to run a certain device (in wats or amps) at a certain voltage for one hour.
Old April 4th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #8
Inner Circle

So if I run 15 amps (1800 watts) worth of lights with this unit, it would start with 51 amps worth of power for the lights.

At 51 amp hours , wouldn't this translate into 3+ hours given I am only using 15 amps of the 51 per hour?

Please clarify.

Thanks
Old April 4th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #9
Major Player

So the battery is 51Ah, which means it can supply 51A in 1 hour or 1A for 51 hours or anything in between (als long as the "A" and "h" multiply to 51). But this is at 12V (nominally).

This does not mean that it can supply that kind of amperage at 115V. The inverter is not a magical power generation device ;-)

If there is no loss in the inverter (and there will be), your 1800W of lights (which are way over the 1350 watts continuous output specs of the unit) would draw ~150A at 12V. If the circuitry could handle that it would drain in 51/150 of an hour or ~20 minutes.

You would however blow the thing (well a fuse at least I hope).

So at the maximum rating (continuous) of 1350W it will draw (more than) 1350W/12V=112.5A which give you 51Ah/112.5A=0.4533h or (less than) 27 minutes of service.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #10
Major Player

Well, I'm not sure about rigging a bunch of tungsten lights to this, you'd only get a few 350w lights at most, I'd imagine. But for fluorescent lights, LED lights, production monitors, cameras, laptops, ect., this would be a great addition to your lighting equipment. It's cheap too and, because it runs on a battery, should be quieter than a gas powered generator. There's other similar products on the Xantrex website, who knows, maybe there's something better on there. I haven't had the time to research it yet.
Old April 4th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #11
Contributor

My three Flolight 500LED lights pull 40 watts each. I could run them for a long time.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #12
Trustee

"It's cheap too and, because it runs on a battery, should be quieter than a gas powered generator."

Except for a tiny fan noise, they should be completely silent unless a low voltage alarm goes off.

"So at the maximum rating (continuous) of 1350W it will draw (more than) 1350W/12V=112.5A which give you 51Ah/112.5A=0.4533h or (less than) 27 minutes of service."

Even George's calculated estimates are too forgiving because batteries are rated at a 20 hour discharge rate. This battery will only provide 51AH if drained slowly. Assuming that something like two 650W fresnel are attached to this thing, you can probably only expect about 10-15 minutes of run time before the voltage drops too low to sustain the inverter.

"My three Flolight 500LED lights pull 40 watts each. I could run them for a long time."

Bill, since the LEDs would drain the battery at a slower rate, you should expect a few hours of service.

Battery operated fluorescent, LED, or HMI are a great idea if you only plan to run a few hundred watts. I run two 40W CFLs off one battery for hours. I wouldn't plan to run more than 300W on this Xantrex supply without shortening the life of the battery.

I am attaching a jpeg of one of my rigs.
Attached Thumbnails
Found a neat thing for lighting purposes-batterylight.jpg  
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Sorry, I was mixing 120v with 12v!
Old April 5th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #14
Wrangler

Also need to consider that the inverter won't be 100 percent efficient (nothing is). So a 1000 watt load will actually consume a bit more than 1000 watts of input power.

The mixing of 120v and 12v doesn't apply here. A load wattage is a load wattage regardless of voltage. For a given wattage, the higher the voltage, the lower the current and vise versa. Also of note is that the 120v AC spec'd here and in our wall sockets isn't the actual peak AC voltage. !20 is the RMS value (.7071 of peak voltage) and is the effective DC voltage for use in current calculations.

Marcus is dead on with the 27 minute calculation. Probably a bit less because as he noted, a 1350 watt load will draw a bit more input power than 1350 watts.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #15
Inner Circle

This is quite confusing when the amps are put into the equation as the battery is a 12v DC device but anything you plug in is a 120v AC device.

I was regarding the specs as referring to the 120 AC output as opposed to the 12v DC input.

As stated, there is a lot less power when the 51 amp hours is for 12V DC.

Am I on the right track?

I'll know not to talk about electricity in public again!
Tim Polster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management