DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Potentially ridiculous DIY giant softlight idea. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/118685-potentially-ridiculous-diy-giant-softlight-idea.html)

Nathan DuMoulin April 5th, 2008 08:53 PM

Potentially ridiculous DIY giant softlight idea.

I'm in a real pinch here, and I've thought up a potential solution....but it might be borderline ridiculous. lol

Basically I need a giant soft light that's suspended in the air so that it points directly downwards. It's going to hang on cables, and needs to be light weight. It also needs to be a good 4'x8' in size and must produce at least 2000w. I cant afford to rent a whack of 4bank kinos, so I've thought up the following solution.

Take a 4'x8' sheet of lightweight plywood and cover one side in tinfoil. Then mount a grid of light sockets (maybe 4 rows of 6, each at 100w). Then I'd use a sheer white bed sheet thats hung loosely to diffuse the light. hang it on the wires and point it downward. Presto.

Is this insanity, or will it actually work? lol

Edward Carlson April 5th, 2008 09:55 PM

Make sure that sheet doesn't catch fire! I was going to suggest a Chinese lantern type of setup (hey, it's cheap), but if you need directionality I think your plan might actually work.

Denis Danatzko April 5th, 2008 09:58 PM

My first impulse is that such a large

board would present at least 2 problems:
even balancing, and manageability.

It would be unwieldy, at best, and may end up "pointing" in one direction. Keeping it level may be difficult (if that's important to you).

I'm trying to picture how you would hang it, even with cables.

I'd consier multiple smaller units rather than 1 large one.

good luck.

Edward Carlson April 5th, 2008 10:01 PM

True it will be unwieldy, but if you attach cables to the four corners and bring them to a center point, then attach that to your main cable, you could keep it more stable than with just one cable.

Nathan DuMoulin April 5th, 2008 10:13 PM

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the quick responses.

And on a side note, the location offers and easy way to suspend the rig...both secure and level. Thankfully, that aspect isn't an issue. :)

Hunter Richards April 5th, 2008 10:42 PM

Better Idea:

If your budget is ever shrinking, go pick up 4 500w work lights. Place them approamately 8 feet behind a semi-opaque white shower curtain hung up between 2 stands.

Instant wall of soft light for less than $100.

(and you wont burn down your location)

Nathan DuMoulin April 5th, 2008 11:07 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Hunter, but there are 2 problems with that idea.

1) If the lights were 8 feet above the diffusion, the diffusion would have to be *massive*, otherwise the light would spill around it. Also, I dont have any means of getting that high up to install the work lights. My rig already needs to be pretty high up in the air.

2) I can build this rig for $50. A 4x8' sheet of OSB board is only $6, the sockets are $1 a piece, and bulbs are a dime a dozen. I need the odd extra part, like wire and such, but in total, it comes to around $50.

Nathan DuMoulin April 5th, 2008 11:17 PM

What about those screw in flo-bulbs? The energy saver ones.

That would kill the heat problem...but would it cause problems with the color temperature of my fill lights (which are tungsten).

Paul Mailath April 5th, 2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Carlson (Post 855088)
Make sure that sheet doesn't catch fire!

I'd be just as worried about the wood covered in tinfoil - you're producing a huge amount of heat with nowhere to go.

I would think about vents of some sort, small holes in the foil won't matter and a vent or even a ceiling fan behind them is going to dissipate some of that heat. If the whole thing goes up in flames and covers the item you're filming - you could end up with some interesting footage!

Since you're wiring the plywood anyway, 4 fans will get rid of a lot of heat (I'm not sure if the noise would be a problem)

Marcus Marchesseault April 6th, 2008 06:25 AM

"That would kill the heat problem...but would it cause problems with the color temperature of my fill lights (which are tungsten)."

Nope. Most compact fluorescents are "warm white" which means they are balanced the same as tungsten consumer lamps. You may even find the 2700Kelvin rating printed on them. If you are using studio tungstens (3200Kelving), you may want to use the "bright white" nvision compact fluorescents from Home Depot that are rated at 3500Kelvin. Since you are using so many bulbs, you can even mix them to change your color temperature.

Bill Pryor April 6th, 2008 08:28 AM

Back when I did a lot of product photography, I made a 4 X 8 foot frame of 1 X 2's, suspended over my product table. I stapled diffusion gel to the frame, something like Lee 250 or 251. I then had two Lowel DP 1K lights hung over that, flooded; and it was perfect.

Richard Alvarez April 6th, 2008 09:21 AM

It sounds like you're needing a soft, diffuse overhead light - in a 'lmited' area at low cost, right?

What you are basically suggesting is an overhead 'silk' that is blasted with the light source. As others have suggested, you can frame a 4x8 out of lightweight materials such as 1x2's or PVC pipe - and stretch your 'silk' across it. Then you may choose whatever light source you want, and place them above it. The problem with large silks and reflector boards is that they can be unwieldy and difficult to manage. They blow around outdoors, they require rigging that might be exposed in the shot, ,limiting your shooting options.

Alternately, you can use numberous china balls or 'soft cans' - that are hung from the ceiling. This is how larger sets are illuminated for soft overhead lighting. China balls are cheap, easy to hang, and can be moved around on a set.

Jim McQuaid April 6th, 2008 09:21 AM

Fluorescents not equal to tungsten

While the color temperature rating of fluorescents may be given as "3200" etc., these lights produce a lot of discontinuous spectrum that is not accurately captured by the color temp. rating. There is another rating "CRI" which is a percentage of how well the color temperature rating is accurate. This can vary from 52 to 80 or so while tungsten for the same color temp is 99% accurate.

Steve Oakley April 6th, 2008 11:52 AM

well that piece of plywood will sag without some 1X3's running the long way. the device you are talking about is called a chicken coop. they used to build these things was 4X8 X4 tall boxes and hang them in the studio ceilings much like giant china balls. all I can say is dangerous due to the heat. heavy, and suck up a lot of power. there's a reason these rigs aren't use anymore and it involved flames.

why not instead use 48" flo bulbs & fixtures ? much lower power draw, much lower heat.

also get some black fabric, ideally a felt like material from the local fabric store and use that as a skirt to control spill. ideally get real duvatyne.

personally I'd rent a 6X6 or 8X8 with silk, some extra tube and make a t bracket to run about 18-24" above the frame, then rig some 500W DP lights flooded. I've done some rigs like this with 12X12 in a studio and they work great. would be much safer then what you are proposing.

safety first, then cost especially when you are flying rigs like this.

Robert M Wright April 6th, 2008 03:17 PM

Something like this might work well:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tch_Lamp_.html