Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 16th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski View Post
So Travis, how would you compare the performance of your newly replaced Litepanel Micro vs. the Bescor?
Without a straight-up test it's hard to say, but I haven't had time for that. I would guess that the Bescor is maybe still a bit brighter on the 20w setting, although it's probably very close. On the 40w setting I'd bet the Bescor is brighter. But, that said, my Bescor will only run for maybe 30 minutes max on 40w, and maybe an hour on 20w. My Micro will go for a LONG time on full power.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:31 AM   #32
Regular Crew

what a disappointment
wasted my time reading thru this whole thread...and no followup test

so travis, are you happy with the litepanels micro?
Mark Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Sorry you wasted your time. With late fall weddings and a nice backlog (and a 2-week vacation and Christmas), I haven't had time to run a real-world test again. Not to mention in the past month I've had to send cameras in to Canon for repairs 3 times (and about to go a 4th this week). Maybe once I've caught up on my backlog I'll run a test. No promises, though. d;-)

As far as my happiness with the LitePanels Micro. I think it does a good job for what it's designed for. It's designed to throw light a short distance (5-10 feet). The new unit I received performed MUCH better than the original I bought (it was defective).
Old January 26th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Since I'm one of the first to use the LPMicro AND have posted a screen shot of it in use AND have been very very happy with it, I thought I step in here.

NO it will not light up a room. NO it will not throw more than 8 to 10 feet and be effective, YES it is plastic and can break (although mine hit the floor twice while on the camera...[dumb dumb dumb] but it never broke and neither did the camera thank goodness.
Like any piece of gear there are upsides and downsides to the light.
I keep my AB Ultralite handy with a Bescor battery to power it from for those time I need more than the LP Micro can give me.
In the last year that I've been using the Micro I have never had to go to the AB light. You gotta know what the light is capable of doing. In the 62 weddings I did last year it was enough to do the job I asked of it.
I use both the diffusion and 1/4 CTO on the light which does cut the throw a bit but luckily, the PD170 is the king of low light so every now and then I have to kick the gain to 6 or 9 but you wouldn't know it. Since I'm not the 'fly on the wall' kind of shooter, the light works very well for me and frankly I am extremely happy with it.
YMMV
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
<snip>.... In the 62 weddings I did last year ... <snip>
holy crap! wow...
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 01:47 AM   #36
DVCreators.Net

Here's a video showing the Litepanels Micro vs the Mini vs the Mini Ringlite. YouTube - Litepanels - On Camera LED lighting for Red carpet Interviews

The camera used is a Sony FX1 and starts out with 9dB Gain

The wide shot is from an HPX500 0dB Gain

Hope this sheds some light on the topic.

<grin>
Old January 28th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Nice test. Thanks for the link!
Old February 6th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #38
Major Player

I have two Litepanels and both must be duds. In an hour and a half, both are out of battery power. How long are yours able to go? I can't use them anymore because they consistantly lose potency, and I can't afford that. I don't want to send them back because I don't think a replacement would help the situation, unless I just want to blow through batteries. Thoughts?
Old February 6th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #39
DVCreators.Net

yes, for $49 you can get the new adapter plate and use your camcorder batteries. I shot a timelapse video of "AA battery" vs "Sony NP570" (the skinny one). Full bore, 100% open on the dimmer we got about 1.5 hours out of the Duracell ProCell AA batteries and almost 4 hours on the Sony. Litepanels Micro and DV adapter plate

The Duracells we buy in bulk at Zbattery.com by the case. 144 are in a case for $60.65.
So each battery is $.42 or $1.68 per 4. It seems like you could recoup your battery expense fairly quickly with the Litepanel DV adpater plate if you use the free battery that came included with your camcorder.

I'm not sure about the Canon batteries, but the timelapse showed that the Micro stayed the same brightness through the entire duration with the Sony "smart batteries". At exactly 4hours and 6 minutes into the test, the unit shut off completely. The AA's dimmed slowly over time, in fact when I came in the next morning, 16 hours later, they were still on - not useable, but still on. Up to 1.5 hours they were very bright, dimming slightly to about 80% from 1.5hr-2hrs. Hr 2-3 about 50% and 3+hrs at about 5%.
Old February 6th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury View Post
I have two Litepanels and both must be duds. In an hour and a half, both are out of battery power. How long are yours able to go? I can't use them anymore because they consistantly lose potency, and I can't afford that. I don't want to send them back because I don't think a replacement would help the situation, unless I just want to blow through batteries. Thoughts?

Yeah the aklaline batteries run about 1 1/2 hours. I use 2 sets of 2200MaH rechargeables and get about 4 to 5 hours per set. I tried the alkalines in a test when I first got the light and decided to go with the rechargeables. I bought the 2 sets with a charger at Costco for about $28.00 and they've worked fine for a year now. I'll probably get another kit since even rechargables die sooner or later.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Limited Budget is this the light for me?

Hey all,

Just looking for some advice. I’m breaking into the Wedding biz and on a very, very limited budget. I’m thinking about getting this light as my only light as its light- and cheap with regards to power consumption. Just looking for a validation that this is a good way to go. Also Bescor also make a "Litepanel 35" it's a lot cheaper anyone have results.

Thanks!
Steve Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Litepanels Micro - My Impressions

Well I got one of these delivered yesterday. Got it for around 225 Quid (ex VAT) here in the UK.

First impressions is that it's nice and light and reasonably bright. Main reason I bought it was "it will always be in the camera bag for when I need it to give a little lift to a scene" and I think it's certainly bright enough for that. It's not exactly sturdy in construction but should be OK if looked after/not abused (an approach I usually attempt!)

I don't think I'd ever use it on my camera (PMW-EX3) but would use it on a small mini table-top tripod directed at the subject. The mounting shoe can swivel (and be locked) at any angle backwards and forwards but not side-to-side. This is no issue since, like I said, I can't see me using this on camera very often as that typically would give the most unflattering lighting possible!!! (IMO). The dimmer switch (full turn for off) is a good idea but in practice I suspect I'll use it full on whenever this baby comes out. Also, being LEDs it won't get hot, another advantage. Main thing is it's small, light and so will always be with me and available...unlike my other big heavy lights that are often left in the back of the car! Assuming battery life is as reported (i.e. at least 1 to 1.5 hrs with good alkaline's) then I'll stick with that but it can easily accept plug in mains power via a small mains transformer (not supplied - but that's more weight and yet another thing to have to lug around for the run and gun stuff).

Is it worth 225 Quid. Probably not - my guess is that it cost about £20-30 to make! However, the one time it gives me that little extra sparkle in the eyes for an important interview (or whatever) in the field then it will have paid for itself. So, all in all, I'm basically happy.

Hope this helps any of you considering this unit.

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; April 15th, 2009 at 04:44 PM. Reason: typos!
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #43
Sponsor: Go Media Monkey

The NEW Litepanels MicroPro released

Introducing The New Litepanels MicroPro on-camera light. In addition to increased output, the MicroPro provides a broader source, which gives a more wrapping, HD friendlier quality of light.

It doubles the light of the very popular Litepanles Micro. The compact black MicroPro is ideally suited for mounting on an ENG, DV or DSLR camera. It offers luminous, soft, directional lighting with the same outstanding characteristics that make Litepanels an integral part of television, broadcast news and motion picture productions worldwide

You can see it here: Litepanels LP MicroPro on-Camera Light Kit, LED
Old April 19th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Lite Panels Micro Light

I had the oportunity of examining the light at one of our PVCF meetings 4-5 mos. ago.
I felt the light output was rather weak, contruction cheap; definitely not worth $300-.
When the filter for 3200k is used, it is lacking.

I work in engineering for a large manufacturer of pipe inspection tv systems, (pronounced sewer). We manufacture our own cameras, transporters & electronics. I have worked with helping to develop some of our LED light heads & was planning on designing & selling my own after being so disappointed with the offerings out there.

The switronics TS50 Torchlight outperforms the LP unit in light output, dstance of light throw & battery use; its internal & lasts for 3+ hr. Torchlight can be had for $279-, from the right dealer.

Prompter people have just come out with a light that will outperform the torchlight & publish LUX measurements of Ikan lite, LP Micro & their new unit. Talked to factory sales as I was concerned with the published weight of 2lbs.; turns out that is weight of the unit & accessories packed for shipping. It uses the 7.2v camera batteries, weighs .7lb. w.o. battery, the body is aluminum & there are 5 different filters; all for $329-. Also included are adapters for 3 different Lion batteries.

In their add at 9' the LP micro measures 31lux, the Micro Beam 85lux. Of course LP has a bigger lite now for $479-. I'll put my money on P.P. Micro Beam. <www.prompterpeople.com>

Last edited by Bill Wilson; April 19th, 2009 at 12:01 PM. Reason: add web addres for P.P.
Bill Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Bill, where can the torchlite you are talking about be found?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management