Anyone use PBL softlights? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old June 25th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone use PBL softlights?

I was looking into a britek kit and found PBL lights (see link below)...I like them because they are 500W/1000W switchable (2 bulbs). So, does anyone have PBL's and how do they compare with the Britek kits?

http://www.skaeser.com/servlet/Categ...PBL+CONTINUOUS

I need a decent softlight kit without dropping a ton of $$ (yeah...I know, there's a ton of posts on the subject)...I know they are not going to be "arri quality" I don't do a ton of lighting, but I think I would do more if I had just a basic kit. AND...I do have a couple of shoots coming up, so it would save me having to rent an arri kit.

THANKS.
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Looks just like Britek just a different name. A number of the Britek halogen lights are dual bulb and dual wattage. I've got 3, 600 watters that can half to 300 watts.

The Briteks are not a bad kit. They're not that controllable like a fresnel but for the money, they offer good light. I bought my kit including 2 softboxes, 3 stands and bags for $450. This isn't my only kit though. If you do go this route, I'd suggest getting a Lowell Pro light as well for a little backlight / kicker. Little more directional punch than the Briteks. Run you about another $250 with stand.

Yes they're not Arri quality but they do the job and are part of a kit that is a nice run and gun for me.

cheno
Michael Chenoweth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #3
Major Player

I know that this is an old thread, but I just wanted to let everyone know DON'T BUY PBL LIGHTS!!!! They look just like the Briteks, but are nowhere near the quality. I bought two 1K PBLs and they have been nothing but trouble since. One of them fried on me recently. The fuse holder actually melted to the base and almost caught on fire! I also have some Britek GY 650s and they are pretty rock solid. Had them for a while and not one problem. The only thing to expect with the Briteks is changing the bulbs often because they burn out fairly quick.
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management