DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Stove Plug Converter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/125950-stove-plug-converter.html)

Tyler Schlombs July 14th, 2008 08:10 PM

Stove Plug Converter

I've seen on some location sets that the best boy electric plugs a device into the stove plug to convert the 220 volts to 2 separate 110 volt outlets.

A few questions....

What are they called? I think i heard them referred to as Distros????

Can they be bought in stores, or are they rigged up?

Are they safe for long term use?

I ask for several reasons. So I can use a stove plug for power on sets, so my dad can use stove plugs on construction sites, and (if safe) I can just plug one in to convert it for my new gas range.

My dad knows how to rig something together in a pinch, but it is not overly safe for long term. I've also heard about rewiring the 220 volt plug itself but, for the work involved, it would only really be worth it for the range.

Thanks for any help.

John Miller July 15th, 2008 07:32 AM

It's trivial to do - get a 220V plug and two 110V sockets (not receptacles!). Using the appropriately rated cord, connect each 110V hot to one of the 220V hots, wire both 110V neutrals to the 220V neutral and likewise for the grounds.

Note - this assumes you have a 4-terminal 220V outlet (hot-hot-neutral-ground). 220V outlets vary (why the electrical system in the US is so contrived, I'll never know...) - some are just hot-hot-ground which won't work.

FWIW, the two 110V sources will be out-of-phase which could introduce problems with ground loops etc if you mix-and-match equipment across the two.

(I did a similar thing with a 220V outlet for a dryer so that I could run a 110V/15A tablesaw.)

Seth Bloombaum July 15th, 2008 10:19 AM

Illegal in the state of Oregon unless you're a licensed electrician, so I've been told. Local laws vary on this.

Eric Stemen July 15th, 2008 11:16 AM

Isn't this what transformers are for?

David Beisner July 15th, 2008 12:20 PM

I was in construction and did a lot of electrical work before I quit to move into the video world. It'll work as described above, but be really careful. 220V is not something to mess with. As far as how long-term its safe for: depends on how well and how carefully you do your wiring. If you do everything inside properly grounded and closed junction boxes, then you could let it sit (behind your gas range) for years on end. If you just splice stuff together and wrap it with electrical tape, then I'd want to have it out where I could see it so I could cut the power real quick in case something started smoking. Even if you use wire nuts, things still can come loose. Especially wrapping smaller gauge wire with thicker gauge wire--its hard to get them to join well.

Probably a safer/easier option would be to go to the panel box and simply disconnect one of the hot feeds from the breaker. Then just rewire your outlet from the 220V range plug to a standard 110V socket. Lots safer.

John Miller July 15th, 2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Stemen (Post 907658)
Isn't this what transformers are for?

Not in this case. The 220V supply is really two separate 110V supplies that are out of phase (+110V and -110V which add up to 220V). The equipment connects to two hot wires instead of hot-neutral. (Having two hot wires is rather scary in my mind). Some 220V lines have a neutral which allows you to split the line into two 110V supplies.

(Most of) the rest of the planet does not have this dual voltage - just a single phase ~220V hot-neutral line.

Tyler Schlombs July 15th, 2008 02:54 PM

thanks for all the advice.

I spoke with an electrician, and they said the same thing for the range, take one of the hots and a neutral to make a 110 or rewire it from the panel or run a new line....

ok... so the range is solved thank you...

but how about a device that just plugs into the stove plug and the other end is 110 outlets or otherwise?

was I dreaming or do these really exist?

Jase Tanner July 15th, 2008 05:57 PM

Hi Tyler

They probably do exist though you'd likely have to pay a ridiculous amount for them. You could have them made up by an electrician but even then if you want to use them legally, (ie not breaking the CEC, Canadian Electrical Code) you'd have to have them inspected. Also not cheap to do. In BC, one such inspection company is Warnock Hersey. No idea if they're in Ontario or not, but you might ask one of the lighting rental companies such as William F. White who they use.

Also, unless I've read everybody's responses too quickly, no one has said that the important thing in constructing such a device is protection. Range outlets are breakered at 40 amps, while a typical 120 volt outlet is protected at 15 amps. There needs to be either a fuse or breaker with that rating installed into such a device otherwise there is the possibility of overloading the 120 side of the circuit. That is one reason why what you were initially asking for, a y-cord or twofer as they are called, is illegal.

People do use these but the day someone gets hurt/dies or a fire starts, do you want to be the one owns it?

Tyler Schlombs July 18th, 2008 07:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Jase,
that has been a concern. thank you.

The gas guys came to run the line yesterday, and they had the answer. I was shocked.

It exists!!!! Home Depot, Rona, many hardware stores..... didn't even think to look

It looks like a little plunger that goes over the plug, safely converts 220V to 110V with a built in 15 Amp fuse to to protect whatever you are plugging in. And the price? $32 at Home Depot. In Rona: $22.

The only downfall is that it is only a single 110 outlet on the other side. I can live with that.

Tyler Schlombs July 18th, 2008 07:05 AM

If I can find it in home depot.... then I guess there are a hundred different ways of making that adapter.

Jase Tanner July 18th, 2008 07:42 AM

Tyler

Thats cool. Thanks for telling me. I'm going to pick up one myself.