DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 1st, 2008, 04:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Hearing back from you.

A lot of people got helped on this board with their lighting problems. For the benefit of others it would be nice if we could hear back from you to see if the suggestions given here were helpful and how the job turned out.

Thanks
Old August 1st, 2008, 08:53 PM   #2
Trustee

Great idea Nino. I've learned so much from this forum, and also your excellent website. Lighting knowledge seems to be limitless, so I'm always learning new things here. I especially like the "Critique my lighting" topics. I'm amazed at the little things that mean so much when it comes to lighting. So far, my knowledge far exceeds my experience, but I hope that will change in the near future.
Old August 5th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino Giannotti View Post
A lot of people got helped on this board with their lighting problems. For the benefit of others it would be nice if we could hear back from you to see if the suggestions given here were helpful and how the job turned out.

Thanks
Hi Nino!,

I think one thing that gets in the way of the kind of feedback you note is that most questions are posted here by people in the middle of the production process. They run into a problem, they come here for an answer, they check back for the results, and when they (hopefully) get the help they need, they turn right back to finishing the project they're trying to get done.

That might be not just days, but weeks, or even months of "heads down" hard work. So they don't have the "attention discipline" to interrupt their production process and come back to say those thanks that they probably feel when they get the answer.

The best we can hope for, I think, is that a large portion of the folks here who get help realize how important it is to reach out to others to share their knowledge and experience - as you do so generously - and that they too learn to pay back the general community for the help they've received.

Last edited by Bill Davis; August 5th, 2008 at 05:14 PM.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Let me add that much as I want to say thanks to everyone when they've answered a question, or let folks know how things turned out, I have to balance that aspect of my upbringing against the realization that such thank-you's, nice as they are, can generate an incredible amount of forum clutter.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 05:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
Let me add that much as I want to say thanks to everyone when they've answered a question, or let folks know how things turned out, I have to balance that aspect of my upbringing against the realization that such thank-you's, nice as they are, can generate an incredible amount of forum clutter.
I don't really care about gratitude, nice is nice but doesn't help lighting skills. I really would like to know what the final lighting solution was.
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:53 PM   #6
Major Player

Most of my lighting education has come from working on various sets with people who are more experienced than I am. But in those situations, they are not going to take the time to explain why they want you to put this certain light in a specific location. They will just tell you to "put the 1k over there with diffussion and 1/2 CTB and a dimmer". No why. No explanaton of what they are trying to achieve. If you can't figure it out yourself, you are out of luck. While I have never asked for specific lighting advice on this forum, I still have received a great deal of help and instruction with lighting and it usually does include the most important bit. Why. So thanks to those who generously take the time to share their knowledge.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management