A suggestion for a good basic lighting package at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 6th, 2003, 11:39 PM   #1
Chimera Lighting

A suggestion for a good lighting package

HI. From working many tradeshows and retail floors I have come up with what I think is a good package of lighting for shooters like I see here. I would also like to say that you people really are great and it is an honor to be here. I would also like to thank Chris for this site. In case you have never met him.. he is a really great guy.
Anyhow at the Showbiz show in LA this year so many people asked me what they should buy I came up with this setup to get going. It does not cost a whole lot.. will serve you for many many years and is very effective without any left over equipment.

1. Chimera has a kit - Item 8000-(Finally) a 24x32 bank, 40degree grids, 500 watt light, Avenger 10ft 8 stand and a nice carry bag. The kit sells it for around $550 -599 if you email me I can help you find dealers local to you if you wish. I think this kit is better than other kits since the bank is made to a higher standard in America and the mogul Socket light has the ring built in so you don't have to mess the 3 screw connector fiasco some other companies use. The Chimera Mogul Socket light also has a tension screw to keep the bank from spinning horizonal to vertical when you don't want it to. The only silly thing on this kit at the moment is the cord from the light is too short so you will need and exstention cord. Not the end of the world, but you should know the good and the ugly... YES?

2. You get a Bogen or I prefer Avenger convertable boom. I like the A475B.
You now have a second stand you can use as a stand or a boom. It is an awesome product.

3 Hook yourself up with a fresnel of some kind.. An Arri 650 or a Mole, Pepper.

4. Get one more decent stand.. don't buy cheap crappy stands get a Bogen 3333 or an Avenger, Pic or something that won't fall apart in a year. I am not big on air stands unless you are using a real heavy light.

You get yourself a Chimera Frame panel kit or a Flexfill or a Lastolight reflector, Maybe even a bounce board from an art supply store and a mounting arm from Bogen or Matthews. Or whoever you prefer.

Then you can:
Take the Bank light or the Fresnel and put it on the boom to get it where you want it. You have the other stands for your reflector and left over light. You can light your subject with the bank light and the reflector and use the fresnel as a hair light or with or without gels light the background. The Lighttool Grids in the Chimera kit will help you light the background seperatly or just keep the light on your subject for a dark background.

As you progress and play with your lights you may want to get another fresnel or Chimera.

I really don't think you can go wrong with this type of kit.
If I can help any of you with lighting or a dealer just let me know.
Peace my friends.
Old August 11th, 2003, 08:56 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Sounds interesting. I'm currently not gonna buy a kit, but I was
wondering if such a kit would work here in Europe with our
230v 50hz power grid....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 06:18 PM   #3
Chimera Lighting

230 volt systems need 230 or 220 v bulbs

You can use most Professional light sources in any voltage provided you change the bulbs to the source voltage you will be using. For the Chimera Kit 8000 and an Arri light this is no problem.
Old August 14th, 2003, 06:29 PM   #4
Trustee

There's always Photoflex or Wescott.

www.photoflex.com. A fair bit cheaper and just as serviceable.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 06:32 PM   #5
Trustee

I emailed someone at Arri the other day as I am in 230/240 volt 50hz land too. He said that all the Arri fixtures apart from the 150w fresnel can run 220/240V with the right lamp and plug adapter. You have to order a special version of the 150w if you want 220/240v support as it has a different lamp holder.

Cheers
Aaron
Old August 14th, 2003, 07:18 PM   #6
Chimera Lighting

You get what you pay for..

As far as Westcott.. As far as I know they do not make a kit.
As far as Photoflex... having worked for them I can tell you that the Chimera product is superior in Quality and durablilty. That is why rental houses and most professionals insist on Chimera Products. They ask for our products by name. And just for you information the Chimera kit is cheaper in most markets and comes with a carry bag and 40 degree grids.
Remember you get what you pay for.
Old August 15th, 2003, 05:48 PM   #7
Trustee

I built up my own rig rather than buy a kit. I use the heavier bogen/manfrotto stands and I paired Totas with photoflex softboxes.

Old August 16th, 2003, 05:50 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Richard I can't find any Bogen 3333 on their website, is this an old model?
Ivan Hedley Enger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #9
Chimera Lighting

Bogen Stand

Hello my friend.

You know I was not sure but I had just picked up a Bogen catalog and it is still listed in there. The Bogen 3333 is a 9 foot stand. There is a Bogen 3336 that is 11 feet high.. I only suggest that stand because it is a pretty good value and constructed fairly well. I would look on a dealer website or call one to see if they carry it.
Send an email to my buddy Marc Schotland and ask him the deal.

marc.schotland@bogenphoto.com
Tell him Richard from Chimera sent you.
Contact me if I can help
Peace and long life.
Old August 16th, 2003, 12:00 PM   #10

So cool to see that Chimera is now offering attractively-priced kits. Nice!

For softboxes, I have a Lowel RIFA LC-88 (32x32") and a RIFA LC-55 (21X21").
http://www.lowel.com/download/ls-rifa.pdf This combination allows me to light most any size room, setup or interview. The beauty of the RIFA system is that they are very easy to set up and they do setup up quickly. A big plus is that you can change to a lower or higher wattage bulb as needed, depending upon the size of the space you are in. I keep a small tupperware box inside my light kits, which contain all the bulbs I need of various wattage. When I am done with the light, I take the bulb out of the fixture and store it safely in the TupperWare box. This significantly prolongs the life of your bulbs by safely protecting them during travel, rather than subjecting the bulb to a lot of vibration by keeping it in the fixture which may move around in the light kit.

It pays to be a bit resourceful when you are traveliing with your light kit on the road.

The RIFA LC-88 will handle a 1000W bulb, but it will also easily handle a 500W or 750W bulb too in case you are in a smaller room. The RIFA LC-66 will handle a 750W bulb, or even a 300W or 500W bulb. I mount the RIFAs on Lowel KS stands and always carry a couple of KP Full-Poles and KPH Half-Poles in my kit, just in case I need to go really high-key or if I need to keep the lights out of the shot (such as in a big room with a lot of architectural detail.)

I also keep an LC-88EC and LC-66EC Egg Crate attachment for each light, in case I want to control spill on the background.

These are not the only two lights I carry, I also use a couple fresnels, open faces and Totas - when needed of course. But when it comes to softboxes, the RIFAs do a fine job and are super-easy and super-quick to set up and tear down.

My suggestion: start by learning how to light with one or two lights. Then, build upon that with more fixtures as your skillset and techniques improve and as your projects become more complex.

http://www.lowel.com/download/lowellbook6_03.pdf
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...roduct-details

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2003, 07:14 PM   #11
Chimera Lighting

More info

Chimera 24x32 kit item 8000

Arri or Mole 650

Lowel DP or omni

Boom stand

Reflector

One additional stand.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 05:32 PM   #12
Chimera Lighting

Hardware is great too...

Super Clamps. articulated arms and grip equipment is really important to have. Try looking at catalogs from Avenger, American and Matthews for that kind of stuff.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 07:52 PM   #13
Trustee

I just looked up the 11 ft 3336 stand and it's $57 from B&H.
The 3333 is 9 ft and $47 They both have a weight rating of 11 lbs but they are built with ABS plastic locks and collars.

The 8 ft 3086 is built with cast aluminum collars and locks. Its $52 at B&H. Even though the weight ratings are the same I'd opt for the metal fittings.
Old November 9th, 2003, 02:37 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Newbie to lighting wants to know why Avenger light stands cost twice as much as Bogen's. It can't be the tipover protection, as both have models with nice footprints, so is it due to better construction or adjustability?
Marc Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2003, 02:41 PM   #15
Trustee

Manfrotto(bogen in the US) make Avenger, they're basically the same stand and depending who you buy fro, aren't really that much different in price. The avenger knobs and collars may be slightly different, but that's about all.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management