Portable Lighting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old September 18th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Portable Lighting

I do action sports videos Skiing Mostly. Alot of the stuff we film is at night where my riders ski off ledges or down handrails. Portability is a huge issue i cant lug a generator up the side of the MTN along with Extension cords and whatnot. These ligts have a low beam on them which has worked well. I guess my question is do you guys know of any other options and or better options than these lights. They are like 40 bux and i got about 10 of them.
Craig Stay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 03:27 AM   #2
Major Player

which lights are you referring to? I don't see a link.

I'm assuming you're talking about the yellow work lights most snowsport videographers use plugged into a genny.

I used a battery powered Rifa when hitting a handrail once. Shone car lights on the bottom and it gave enough light to be workable. If you had three of those you'd be laughin. they fold down super compact, only thing is the price...and with battery packs....sheesh, definitely not $40 work light.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #3
Inner Circle

for 70$ you can find HID kits for car. It is a pair of HID bulbs with ballast and you can choose color (3200, 5000, 6400K and over).
with a small 12V battery you should be able to run a good hour of nice light.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #4
Trustee

I've never tried it and you'd FOR SURE need to be incredibly careful...

But when I was a kid, we used to mess around with lighting magnesium strips and I remember the pure white light.

I wonder if there's some source of commercial magnesium flares that would work well
for short duration location lighting for stuff like this.

There are a couple of youtube videos - one with a skydiver trailing light that's really cool.

Just an idea.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management