Everything I ever wanted to know about lighting - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 17th, 2003, 09:19 PM   #16
Major Player

wow Stephen, that is a great site you have. I read all the lighting pages and feel like I have a handle on it now.

Thanks!
Old November 18th, 2003, 12:00 AM   #17
Wrangler

Mike:

Best way to avoid shadows behind your subjects is simply to move them away from the wall!

For the glasses issue, raise the lights as high as possible without the shadows getting too deep on the face. Also moving your lights off axis so that the highlights, if still present, don't cover the pupils. Sometimes you can get the subject to angle the glasses down on their nose, or slide the ends of the frames higher up on the ears into the hair to help kick out the reflection.
Old November 18th, 2003, 01:30 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks Charles. For this one interview that I had, we had to do it in their office which was VERY small. Moving the subject away from the wall was not an option and the ceilings were very low too. So I guess that I did not do too bad considering the challenges of the environment. I think that I am improving each time out and this is due in large part to the contributions people have provided me here. Thanks again everyone. I'm sure to have more questions in the coming weeks.
Mike Morrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 02:07 AM   #19
Wrangler

Gotcha. Well, if there is no other option but shoot against the wall, try to light so that the shadows are thrown out of frame, or at least blocked by their own bodies. Keeping your keys high will help achieve the latter.

This may not be applicable in this case, but back in my corporate shooting days, I would occasional have a job where the individual was convinced that they knew what the best environment to be shot in was, which was usually the ugliest space in the building. Sometimes they could be coaxed into the atrium or conference room or somewhere that had at least a little character and physical depth, and of course they loved the results.
Old February 20th, 2004, 08:53 PM   #20
Major Player

Okay, I interviewed a subject and the light was reflected off his glasses. So, how can I fix this in post?????
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2004, 06:18 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Depending on how much reflection exists, it may be neer impossible. I've done this a lot in photoshop for stills and its hard to make it look natural for a single still if the reflection is so great that there is no detail in the "flash" spot. IF you had to do this for many frames of video, even in after-effects, I think that it probably would not look very good or be very time consuming to rotoscope. But if anyone has done this successfully, I'd like to know how to do it too.
Old February 21st, 2004, 10:58 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Stephen,

I have to second the praise for your site. Great stuff, simply presented and goes the extra yard to show variartions. A great teaching tool.

Scott
IMDB listing: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0817387/
Scott Spears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:58 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Lighting for skin tones

I've got a short shoot this week with an African American celebrity. My previous attempts to properly light darker skin tones were not 100% successful. Are there any tips for properly lighting dark skin tones? I'll be using a green screen background and a white background for this shoot.

I use a 750 watt tota as my key light. I have 2 500w omni lights and 2 tungsten 250w lights. I have white and silver umbrellas and gold and silver reflectors.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old April 27th, 2004, 10:09 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Don't use a hard light. Use a diffused light source to light the subject. Think reflections in this case. If you were lighting a glass object, you wouldn't want to light with a hard specular, you would want a large soft specular to define the object. The same goes for dark skin.

Cheers

Stephen Schleicher
www.mindspring.com/~schleicher
Old April 27th, 2004, 10:37 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Stephen, thanks for your quick response and for all of your previous help with my lighting questions on this thread.

Should I forgo to total light altogether or diffuse it through an (silver) umbrella or bounce it off a reflector? To aid or maybe make things more difficult, the studio has defused skylights and the time of day may yield significant daylight during the shoot.
Old April 27th, 2004, 10:42 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Umbrellas and diffusion material will work great with the tota lights. Just don't go bare. Bill Holshevnicov (spelling) has an excellent video that talks about lighting those with darker complections.

Actually in the May issue of DV, there is a pretty good article on lighting subjects with dark complections too. Worth reading.

Cheers

Stephen Schleicher
Old April 27th, 2004, 10:48 AM   #27
Regular Crew

DVCreators.net has just released their DV Enlightenment series on DVD today. They were showing previews at NAB last week, and I was able to snag a review copy (I'll have a review up on my site by weeks end).

It is a very fine put together intro to lighting covering nearly everything my Lighting 101 and Lighting 201 written series covers. The bonus is you get to see these lighting results as they happen and get to see actual video instead of still images. Josh and the crew did a great job in presenting the material covering this entry level topic.

They do light dark skin in the video, but do not touch on how they did it.

Overall a great DVD and well worth the price.

Cheers

Stephen Schleicher
Old April 27th, 2004, 10:56 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Thanks, I'll check out the video and this month's DV article. I have not opened the new DV yet...
Old April 29th, 2004, 07:35 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Stephen, thanks for the help. I had my shoot today and I think that the lighting went OK. It was not perfect but I think it was acceptable and better than I have done before, I think. Here is frame sample. http://www.bigdigital.us/bb
Old April 29th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Actually that's not too bad at all! The main problem I see with the image (and it may be intential on your part), is that you have a huge contrast between your foregound subject and your background.

If you were going for that look, I still think it is okay (although a strong rim/back light would have helped a bit more). If you were not going for that look, you could have used a rim light for a nicer seperation (amber maybe?), and you could have given more depth to the image by breaking up the background with a pattern of some type.

Again, I think the image is good, and if that is the look you were going for then right on right on!

Cheers

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management