DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Ikan iLED (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/135603-ikan-iled.html)

Ian Lim October 10th, 2008 11:32 PM

Ikan iLED

Any review or input would be highly appreciated!

ikancorp.com: iLED 100 Light Kit

Dan Keaton October 11th, 2008 07:31 AM

This looks very interesting.

I too would be interested in any comments on this light.

Charles Papert October 11th, 2008 09:14 AM

It would be nice if they had included photometrics in the specs (pretty standard for a lighting unit) so it could be compared to existing products in the market. Also the specs list that it operates from 7.2v to 12v, and is compatible via P-tap with full-size batteries. Those are a nominal 14.4v and can output as much as 17v when fresh of the charger, so it would be good to know if the unit can handle that.

With the included CTO gels it's safe to assume that it outputs 5600K natively, but again this would be good to show in the specs.

Bill Pryor October 11th, 2008 09:54 AM

It's only 6" wide, so it's just an on camera light, although there often are situations where it would be useful to hide a small light like that on a set.

Peter Szilveszter October 14th, 2008 11:32 PM

Ian

I bought one of these about 6 months ago in Australia. It's very reliable and lighting distance of about 1.5 its very good before it starts getting pretty weak, (this is using it at wedding receptions) I can't give any tech specs yet as I haven't really done extensive tests.

Only proper test I did is power usage, with the bigger Sony battery the light stayed on for about 5 hours straight at full power so definitely lasts a long time. I also use some gels to make the light a bit warmer to match the reception lighting so the strength isn't as strong. The dimmer works great too.

I can only compare to the PAG C6 as that's the only other light I've used properly on the field and in comparison the Ikan has no hotspot which is great and the light strength in short distances is about the same but the Pag could throw about 2m and still be effective.

I'll have to posts some stills maybe to give you an idea.

in the meanwhile in this highlight http://www.vimeo.com/1151720 you can see its effectiveness during the few shots of the waltz

Ian Lim October 15th, 2008 12:04 AM

Wow thanks a lot Peter! Will buy one for sure!

Dan Brockett October 15th, 2008 07:55 AM

Ian:

This looks like a really interesting light. I would question color temp, CRI and build quality, it can't be that great at the price. But the VidLEDs have not been available for ages, the LitePanels DV kits work well but are over $1,000.00 and the smaller LitePanels is built really poorly so this might be a viable contender.

I would be interested to know what happens with this light if you drop it or accidentally whack it into something. I suspect it may be a disposable product. But if you baby it, it might me usable.

Dan

Ian Lim October 15th, 2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 951494)
Ian:

I would be interested to know what happens with this light if you drop it or accidentally whack it into something. I suspect it may be a disposable product. But if you baby it, it might me usable.

Dan

Guess we have to ask Peter again about that issue =D

Don Miller December 26th, 2008 02:15 PM

This product is as close to litepanel I've seen.
I think the question is it comparable to the LP Micro or Mini
If it's a redo of the micro, it's the same price and not too interesting. But it looks closer to the mini, which is much more expensive.

The LP price is high relative to component cost and they will have competitors. It's just a basic assembly of commodity components. A 12v LED light bulb with the large 10mm leds and similar output to the micro can be purchased for $10.

I hope Ikan build larger lightstand models. I will buy a lot of these things once the price isn't stupid.

As far as the Sima, get the "20" model, not the '10'. The 10 is weak. The issue with the Sima is no dimmer. Gels can be easily taped on the front. Almost no heat with LCD. Also, BH's price on Sima is very high.

Dan Brockett December 29th, 2008 12:02 AM

I spoke with the VIDLed guy and he says that they will be back with a new aluminum housing fixture sometime in the next month or so. If VIDLed keeps their word and does come back, that should be great for all of us.

Dan

Don Miller December 29th, 2008 07:56 AM

Any indication of light output? The number of companies selling lights without complete specs amazes me.

Ned Soltz December 29th, 2008 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Miller (Post 985461)
Any indication of light output? The number of companies selling lights without complete specs amazes me.

I have a relationship with the company owner since I've reviewed one of their products for the magazine in the past. I'll ping him and see if I can get any additional info.

Ned Soltz

Charles Papert December 29th, 2008 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Miller (Post 985461)

Pretty basic notion, isn't it (and one that has been an established industry standard for a long time).

M. Paul El-Darwish December 30th, 2008 12:58 PM

No reason panel style lights can't use a mix of LED's Amber & White to allow for nuanced CRI/Color temp output. based on the pictures, the interstitial space can be used to accommodate the amber emitters. Also, 5mm Nichia type emitters are a bit passé. I wanna see Seoul P4's and P7's ganged up in arrays.

Kan Yeung January 6th, 2009 11:37 PM

iKan iLED light kit

Don't let the price fool you. We always believe that our products is the features you need, the price you want. I will back it up with money back guarteen. If some any reason that you don't like our light, I will give you full money back within 15 days as long as you are honest and not just using our light for your occassion and return back to me after you use it. Send me a private message if you want this offer

Kan Yeung