DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 18th, 2008, 04:44 AM   #1
Trustee

Help choosing on camera light.

I'm in need of an on camera light for my EX1, i'm getting the swit battery soon which has a d-tap outlet on it so i'm after a light which can be powered by that.

At the moment i'm leaning towards the litepanels micro or the swit s-2000.
Does anyone have any experience of these lights ?
Any other suggestions would be considered.
I'm needing the light for wedding receptions, first dances, that sort of thing.

Thanks.
Paul.
Old October 18th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I don't know that the Micro will cover 16:9 aspect fully to the edges. I love mine but am shooting 4:3.
However the Litepanel MINI would cover it and can be powered from the D tap. Of course you could buy 2 and 1/4 Micros for the cost of 1 Mini but I think you'd be better of with the Mini.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
I don't know that the Micro will cover 16:9 aspect fully to the edges. I love mine but am shooting 4:3.
However the Litepanel MINI would cover it and can be powered from the D tap. Of course you could buy 2 and 1/4 Micros for the cost of 1 Mini but I think you'd be better of with the Mini.

Don
I rented a Mini to shoot interviews at a cocktail party with the HVX200. The Mini is sweet, it worked very nicely as an eyelight/fill light.

I wish they weren't so expensive but they do work really well.

The Micro, on the other hand, to me is disposable. One good whack while it is mounted and it will be in pieces. I wish that the VIDLed guys had their act together, their product is practically indestructible and about half of the cost of the LitePanels Mini. But you haven't been able to buy one for close to a year it seems.

Ikan has a new basic copy of the Micro that looks interesting. Don't know if it is any more heavy duty though.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #4
Major Player

I actually like the micro for how light it is... on the ex1 flying on a pilot it adds just enough to put that obie catchlight in the eyes. It's obviously no replacement for a key... but as sensitive as these cameras are in low light I think one could put a micro to use as a handheld to the side.... in fact... I use it to fill still shots all the time.... just enough to fill those eye sockets during interior shots.

The zylight z90 has also been a great lighting tool for me.... I have discovered that a $40 energiser li-ion battery for lcd picture frames will power the z90 for about an hour... and the plug works in the zylight socket without alteration. ( hmm... just realized this batt might work for the pilot as well! )

Energizer | ER-PHOTO Universal Battery for Digital | ER-PHOTO
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management