DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Bescore LED35 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/137363-bescore-led35.html)

Jeff Harper November 7th, 2008 10:33 AM

Bescore LED35

Anyone use this light?

Bescor | LED-35 On Camera Light | LED35 | B&H Photo Video

Graham Hickling November 25th, 2008 06:38 AM

I was about to post the exact same question - and any comparison with the Litepanels Micro would be extra helpful! (I already have one of the little Sigmas, but prefer the idea of AA batteries as power).

Jeff Harper November 25th, 2008 06:41 AM

I just saw a LitePanels Micro yesterday. Good for at least two weddings with Lithium AAs. Nice dimmable switch. Great light. Comes with nice filter. Weighs almost nothing. The lack of dimmable switch on the Bescor is a deal breaker for me.

Alain Mayo November 25th, 2008 12:46 PM

I ordered the bescor and I returned it the day after, not been dimmable is an issue and I did not like the spread of the light, now I don't know what to buy in the 200-300 range. Is the litepanel Micro really good for weddings and events? FYI I have a Canon HX-A1 Camcorder.

Don Bloom November 25th, 2008 03:22 PM

I've been using a LP Micro since just about the day it came out. IMO it's a great light BUT it does come with some caveats.
First, it IS plastic construction and can be a bit frail. However I have banged mine around more than I should and it's held up just fine.
Second, the filter holder leaves a bit to be desired but a little piece of gaff tape at the top keeps the diffusion and 1/4CTO in place nicely.
Third and this is most important, the range of the light indoors is really only about 8 to 10 feet and there is fall off at the corners so you need to compensate for that.
NOW, having said that keep in mind that I'm shooting 4:3, in which the light works great WITHOUT falloff, but most times I'm using a WA lens attachment in which case there is a bit of fall off. It's not realy a big deal at the corners as it's a minimal fall off and has never created a problem.
Anyway, the light is well worth it-I use 2 sets of 2200MaH rechargeables and get about 3 to 4 hours per set so generally 1 set takes care of a wedding reception.
I will also use the light in the church during the photo shoot but without diffusion and CTO as I might be more than 10 feet away so the little extra boost helps and the light works well to open the shadows. Same for outside, but there I'm closer about 5 or 6 feet max.
HTHs
Don

Alain Mayo November 26th, 2008 07:26 AM

thanks for your info

Steve Berg March 30th, 2009 09:39 AM

Does anyone know how much throw it gives.. (in feet)- also looking to use for wedding reception and ceremony use on a HMC150. Is it more powerful that the LP. ? This would be my only light so I am going back and forth.

Thanks.

Don Bloom March 30th, 2009 10:49 AM

I'm guessing by nomenclature of the light (LED-35) that's it's probably a 35w light. If it is then it's probably good for about 10 to 12 feet. My AB Ultra with a 30W bulb and softbox is good for about 10 feet of complete coverage and as noted above my LP Micro (25w) is good for about 8 to 10-so I would say the Bescor IF it's 35w has a bit more throw.