DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 29th, 2008, 02:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Any DIY Softbox ideas?

I have some work lights I'd like to make some softboxes for them any ideas? They get really hot....
Tom Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 05:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

i have sanded the windows of such light and it is better than nothing.
forget about wrapping these light in anything it will melt ot becomes so hot , that it could be dangerous.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sherwood View Post
I have some work lights I'd like to make some softboxes for them any ideas? They get really hot....
The problem is DIY softboxes are typically made with foamcore, which will smoke and catch on fire possibly with your lights. The real softboxes like Chimeras cost some money because the interiors of them are that silver heatproof/fireproof cloth and they will not smoke and catch on fire.

You could probably safely use diffuser frames with them but the light is then much harder to control. Worklights aren't made for video, they are made to light job sites, etc. You can use them successfully but generally you need a lot of grip equipment to make them workable.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #4
Major Player

What you really need for those is not a soft box but a diffuser. The good thing about diffusion is that it can be pretty easily accomplished. The bad thing is that you have little, if any, light control... so the usage may be limited ... say as compared to a softbox with a grid in it.

In my still photography days, I built a diffuser screen using 3/4 inch pvc pipe and a paper roll of some paper... seems to me it was architectural drawing paper in a roll. It was an idea from a photographer running a company called Finelight. The frame was easily assembled and the paper clipped on with light duty 3/4 inch pipe segments that had been split longitudinally. My biggest diffuser was like 4x8 feet as I recall. I was using electronic flash, not continuous light though..... but it matters not. Light is light.... and you won't be using it close enough to the tungsten light to ignite it.

I can try and ferret out the pieces if you are interested and post some pix. But to end where I started, I think you want diffusion, not softbox. But it has some big drawbacks that may or may not apply in your particular situation.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management