New Litepanels 1x1 Bi-Color LED light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old December 19th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #1
DVCreators.Net

New Litepanels 1x1 Bi-Color LED light

The original 1x1 has been a hit. News stations are picking these up to outfit entire studios due to the savings in electricity and air conditioning - not to mention bulb life. You've also seen them around President elect Obama and at the recent Olympic games as well as at numerous sporting events. Most of the news crews I've seen around town are still plugged into AC and using a single Lowel Omni for an on location light. This new 1x1 might be something the news guys lust after.

We've even had a customer that shoots a cooking show travel around the country with a 1x1 in his carry-on bag next to his laptop - all so he can shoot even if his checked bag doesn't arrive - they're that thin.

Now there is a new unit that is the same size 12"x12"X1.75" at 3lbs and adds new functionality. The 1x1 Bi-Color has the ability to dial in 3200k or 5600k, or anywhere in between.

These can run on AC, or by using the Litepanels battery, or there is also a new battery back which allows you to use Anton Bauer or IDX batteries. The Litepanels lithium ion battery looks like a long notebook battery and simply snaps onto the back. Amazingly enough it will give you over 1.75 hours at full boar. Pretty cool stuff!
Attached Thumbnails
New Litepanels 1x1 Bi-Color LED light-piclg_1x1bicolor_01.jpg   New Litepanels 1x1 Bi-Color LED light-picsm_1x1bicolor_05b.jpg  

Old December 20th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Guy –

We recently had a dealer over to our studio to demo the very nice Lite Panels 1x1s (no colour control) and the mini plus kits. And while we purchased a mini plus kit, the unit that really got our interest was the “Kelvin Tyle” which has temperature control.

For those not familiar with the all new “Kelvin Tyle” – It is similar to the 1X1 but comes fitted with a front diffusion panel; our demo had a built-in V-Lock battery facility and a colour temperature control knob. Wow… this thing made life so easy and the quality of light was very impressive… but so was the price.

Regards Stu
www.studioscotland.com
Stewart Menelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #3
Major Player

They do create a nice soft light with a bit of wrap. I see they are in the price range of a DIVA 400 ($1600ish street price). I suspect many will be adding them to their kit.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #4
Wrangler

Love the 1x1 Litepanels. I used 8 of them recently on a promo shoot for Starz/Encore where we had 8 people seated in a circle and we were dollying around the perimeter on track. With the remote dimmers I was able to dial in proper exposure for each individual, plus knock out certainly lights for specific shots virtually instaneously. Since we were shooting in a practical location with a speedrail truss mounted off wall-stretchers and c-clamps, weight was a concern but the Litepanels fit the bill perfectly. Great instruments.

Incidentally I was dayplaying on Desperate Housewives, they have 15 or 20 of these which they use in any number of configurations. Quick, easy, cool running and punchy but a nice soft source (very critical on that show)!

This new version sounds great, I love that you don't have to lose the stop for tungsten by gelling it down.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 04:49 PM   #5
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Menelaws View Post
Guy –

We recently had a dealer over to our studio to demo the very nice Lite Panels 1x1s (no colour control) and the mini plus kits. And while we purchased a mini plus kit, the unit that really got our interest was the “Kelvin Tyle” which has temperature control.

For those not familiar with the all new “Kelvin Tyle” – It is similar to the 1X1 but comes fitted with a front diffusion panel; our demo had a built-in V-Lock battery facility and a colour temperature control knob. Wow… this thing made life so easy and the quality of light was very impressive… but so was the price.

Regards Stu
www.studioscotland.com
Thanks for sharing Stu. How much for the Element Labs Kelvin Tile in US dollars? It looks very similar to the Litepanels in form and function - the price should be around $2k for a Bi-color. Are the Kelvin Tiles available in quantity for purchase?
Here is the URL for anyone else wanting to dig a bit deeper.

Element Labs :: Kelvin TILE
Old December 23rd, 2008, 05:17 PM   #6
Wrangler

I'm a little confused by the photometrics on the Kelvin Tile compared to the 1x1 Litepanel (I stopped by Litepanels yesterday to confirm a couple of questions about the unit but I didn't get to see one unfortunately):

From Kelvin Tile fact sheet:

273 Lux @ 1 M (3000K)
419 Lux @ 1 M (5500K)

From Litepanel spec:

1400 Lux @ 4 ft (flood unit)

This seems quite different--am I missing something?

FYI output will be the same on the Bi-color regardless of color temperature selected (and it is the same as the existing 1x1).
Old December 23rd, 2008, 05:48 PM   #7
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
I'm a little confused by the photometrics on the Kelvin Tile compared to the 1x1 Litepanel (I stopped by Litepanels yesterday to confirm a couple of questions about the unit but I didn't get to see one unfortunately):

From Kelvin Tile fact sheet:

273 Lux @ 1 M (3000K)
419 Lux @ 1 M (5500K)

From Litepanel spec:

1400 Lux @ 4 ft (flood unit)

This seems quite different--am I missing something?

FYI output will be the same on the Bi-color regardless of color temperature selected (and it is the same as the existing 1x1).
Charles,

Thanks for sharing. Yeah, I had the same question when I looked at the specs, that's why I was wondering about the price. From the photometrics, it appears that you'd need a few of the Kelvin Tiles to equal a single 1x1 - and that is for the Flood model. If you jump to a Litepanels 1x1 Spot it's 1800 Lux @ 4 ft. Hmm....I wonder if the Bi-color will be available as a Spot model.
Old December 24th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #8
Major Player

I've not been in touch with Litepanels about it, but info I have from the company's publicist is that suggested retail is $2995.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 11:11 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
I've not been in touch with Litepanels about it, but info I have from the company's publicist is that suggested retail is $2995.
It seems that all of the manufacturers of higher end LED product are pricing their lines along the prices of HMIs. I feel that this is a mistake unless they only want the high end broadcast and film market.

I saw another LED on display at FilmTools, it was over $5,000.00! For a little light that probably put out as much as a 1k?

Get real.

I, for one, am in line to buy two of the new Coollights LED 600 panels. $425.00 ea. sounds a bit more realistic. I am sure this new Litepanels light is great but just a bit over priced. Guess the market will determine if they are.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #10
Major Player

so the price of the bi-color is more than the cost of 2 regular 1X1's? I guess convenience has a cost.

I tend to only shoot 5.6k... so not worth it to me.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #11
Major Player

RGB LEDs being the biggest cost difference, and there would be a microprocessor to dial in the color temperature which will add in there too along with the necessary human interface displays. All that would add to the cost.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #12
Wrangler

Well, these are certainly aimed at the high end market. I'm sure eventually a manufacturer will find a way to price them for the indie market, but the science of LED's is ever-evolving.

The informal street price I heard was $2500 (against $16-1700 for the current 1x1). It has twice as many LED's to allow for the mix of color temps.
Old December 24th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #13
Major Player

Hehe, sounds like a challenge Charles. The software would be the biggest barrier I think along with the human interface parts of it. Certainly the hardware is all well known and understood.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
It seems that all of the manufacturers of higher end LED product are pricing their lines along the prices of HMIs. I feel that this is a mistake unless they only want the high end broadcast and film market.

I saw another LED on display at FilmTools, it was over $5,000.00! For a little light that probably put out as much as a 1k?

Get real.

I, for one, am in line to buy two of the new Coollights LED 600 panels. $425.00 ea. sounds a bit more realistic. I am sure this new Litepanels light is great but just a bit over priced. Guess the market will determine if they are.

Dan
HI, Dan (and everyone else)

I as well am interested in the LED 600's when Richard gets them in stock.

One of the more interesting LED products, as well, as the Zylight Z50 and Z90 with the switchable 3200/5600K, variable color temp, +/- green, presets and wireless capabilities. While they are on-camera lights primarily, Z90's in particular could light certain scenes. But at $985 list for the light, it is also a pricey piece of gear. Still, I'm considering one because of the versatility.

Ned
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #15
Major Player

LED stage lighting has a completely different price structure. These are 10mm RGB leds that are programmable for every color, and even strobing. From my point of view, considerably more sophisticated than DV lighting.

For example blinders, those lights at rock concert that blind/dazzle the crowd during a stage change are often led now. Four of these units, enough power to blind a good size audience, might cost $1000 total.

Modifiers and stands, all the things needed to shape and modify artificial light are always going to vary a great deal in price and quality. Traditional lighting was expensive mostly due to the need to robustly handle high heat, and the cost of glass lenses. DV leds are literaly the $1000 lightbilb.

It wouldn't take much effort to put together a powerful, portable system from parts. It's actually easier than home made florescent fixtures. Especially if starting with lights already made for the stage (and HDTV).

LEDs are much better to use with modifiers like soft boxes. Once the price of DV LEDs get real there's all kinds of new lighting possibilities that weren't available financially to most.

Edit:
Here's a 721lux @ 1m LED Spot for $80
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Chauvet-LED-...3A1|240%3A1318
Don Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management