Lighting using Flourescent - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:32 AM   #16
New Boot

I have used their outdoor wall lights for a couple of years now. They have the same specs as you describe. We have been shooting interviews for a few documentaries and we also used them for a short. As long as use WB and use a little diffusion, they are OK.

I found them to be a bit on the fragile side. I have had few failures, especially when traveling. Those baggage handlers can be rough. Be sure to remove the bulbs if you are doing any traveling.

On our first trip, we came up with an easy way to diffuse the lights. The light was way to harsh for interviewing in a small motel room, so we grabbed the white pillow cases and threw them over the lights. Because the lights don't get hot, there is no danger of melting or fire. You can also fold the pillow case to double or even quadruple the diffusion.

The light coming out of these are around 5000K so it is important that you consider them the primary light source and not mix with incandesent.

All said and done, I am going to be getting some better, more versatile light in the near future.

Jim
Jim Hanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:30 PM   #17
Trustee

I believe the LOA "500w" worklights are actually 6500K instead of 5000K. I found a site that once had replacement lamps and they were listed as 6500K. Also, I noticed that they matched sunlight only when I used some 1/2 CTO to bring the temperature down. I have switched to other fluorescent fixtures where I was able to verify 5000K-5500K before purchasing. I also have had some reliability issues with the LOA lights.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:53 PM   #18
Major Player

I mentioned day light balanced because that is what I remember when I first read about them. My issue isn't the bulbs, they work fine but the ballast or switch assembly on 2 of three had gone bad. Cant check my home email from here at work so I don't know if LOA/EFI answered my question.

shame is it seems to be a "propreitary system" and I didn't see any replacement ballast for sale on their website, but they do sell bulbs... now if that's what I needed...

the shoot I have planned will be in a very small room, where heat will be an issue.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management