speed ring questions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old September 26th, 2003, 01:19 AM   #16
Slash Rules!

Watch as I resurrect this thread. . .

I got the speed ring, and attempted to follow the instructions, using a lowel tota light. Now, I am doing this wrong, or does the Tota light attach to the speed ring via and ONLY via a hexagontal bolt that screws into the speed ring, with the bolt screwing into the Tota where the stud from a light stand normally would, and is locked down the same way? It doesn't seem to be the most stable configuration, but I've used up all the stuff that came with the ring, and this is the only way that makes sense.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2003, 10:08 PM   #17
Trustee

I ground a slot in the brass hex spigot. Any mill file will do the job. Just make a flat indent at the point of the spigot.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2003, 11:02 PM   #18
Slash Rules!

Um. . .sorry Bryan I'm not following you. What is the slot for? got any pics or illustrations?
Old September 27th, 2003, 12:25 AM   #19
Trustee

The tota mounts onto the brass spigot on the speed ring. The set screw is then tightened to secure the tota to the speed ring. The Tota could slip off of the spigot and may not remain in position. I turned the spigot on the adapter plate until a point lined up with the top of the tota's mount. I then took a mill file and made a flat indentation so the set screw could mate with a flat surface. The slot prevents the Tota from turning or slipping off.
Old September 27th, 2003, 12:51 AM   #20
Chimera Lighting

tota connector

did you buy the chimera speedring?
Old September 27th, 2003, 04:14 PM   #21
Slash Rules!

Oh. . .so you actually made an indent in the spigot in the shape of the "set screw" from the tota light, so it would lock into the spigot instead of just jamming up against it. . .?

I turned the spigot till it got tight, which doesn't have it face the way you described, where the vectors line up with those from the tota's mount. . .if I turn it so the vectors line up, then it'd be too loose. Did you use a different washer or something other than the one provided?

No, did not buy the chimera ring, bought the photoflex ring.
Old September 27th, 2003, 06:34 PM   #22
Chimera Lighting

Ok I will forgive you this time for not buying Chimera

This is the deal

on the photoflex ring you have the round connector the light bank rods go into and a C plate a brass stud with flatsides to put the tota on and an umbrella connector that is used to attach the whole thing to the light stand.

Put the flat sided brass stud in that 3/8 hole in the C plate. Mount the Cplate to the Round aluminum connector with the two screws . You should be able to read the writing imprinted on the connector. The Brass mount should be on top of it all.
You turn the Tota mount so it is facing the back of the light and you mount the tota right on top of the connector to the flat sided brass fitting.
Use the umbrella clamp and the brass fitting with the 1/4-20 on one end and a 3/8 on the other to attach the connector to the bank.

attach 1/4 inch screw I=( )

ok hope it helps

the Chimera speed ring is one piece of spun aluminum.. Gosh is it pretty..
anyhow let me know
r
Old September 27th, 2003, 06:36 PM   #23
Trustee

Josh
Yes that's exactly how it works.
Very gently tighten the spigot, it will turn the required fraction of a turn. I used a BFW (overly large wrench). .................................

Actually a 4 or 6" cresent will do, it doesn't take much force at all.
Old September 27th, 2003, 06:39 PM   #24
Chimera Lighting

go to this link to help visualize tota connector use

http://www.chimeralighting.com/support/pdf/9510.pdf
Old September 27th, 2003, 06:52 PM   #25
Trustee

The chimera and photoflex are very similar, both are aluminum frames. I suppose they would also be interchangeable. I've had absolutely no trouible with the photoflex after my modification. It is irritating they they haven't listened to such a trivial detail. I called and explained the problems I had encountered and detailed my fix. I guess it fell on deaf ears.
Old September 27th, 2003, 07:04 PM   #26
Chimera Lighting

Just one more reason I no longer work for Photoflex

and am now very happy at Chimera.

There are lots of detail differnces in the two companies products but I am always glad to help.

Peace and long live Tiawan and Korea..

Chimera.... = GO USA!!!!
Old September 27th, 2003, 07:31 PM   #27
Trustee

There is a $50 difference between the two and the construction is pretty well equal. The detail I mentioned wasn't worth the extra $50 . Just because something is made offshore doesn't mean it's poor quality. Work ethics and the associated quality, in the US and Canada are not what they should be.

I believe there are some speed rings where the reverse is true. (The Chimera is some times cheaper than a specific photoflex or Westcott speed ring)

Chimera is the venerable father of the softboxes though, I will give you that. I'm a manufacturers rep and have been one for 30 years. i've always tried not to slag the competition. Quality and service usually speak for themselves.
Old September 27th, 2003, 09:05 PM   #28
Slash Rules!

Thanks Bryan. . .boys, let's not fight.

BFW! Hah!
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management