kino diva 400 went bang at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #1
Trustee
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London UK
Posts: 1,939
kino diva 400 went bang

Brand new, was buzzing from first time I used it then as I switched it off a loud bang came from within the ballast and it now won't fire up...any ideas?
__________________
Philip Bloom
Cinematographer, Director, Filmmaker www.philipbloom.net
Phil Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fairfield, Dunedin, New Zealand
Posts: 3,634
Images: 18
Hi Phil..............

Burial, with full military honours, perhaps?

Slightly more practical, find the receipt and "Return To Sender" post haste.


CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,267
Warranty repair of defective Ballast. Unless for some reason you plugged in a US version in a 220Volt socket. Then they might argue over the repair.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #4
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Brand new, was buzzing from first time I used it then as I switched it off a loud bang came from within the ballast and it now won't fire up...any ideas?
Phil:

Long shot, the Diva is sold in 120V only versions and dual voltage versions (240/120V). I have never used the dual voltage version and don't know if it has a switch for 240V operation but if it does have a voltage switch or setting and you had it on 120V and plugged into 240V, yes, I agree with Chris, that would definitely cause a bang.

Check it out and let us know.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fairfield, Dunedin, New Zealand
Posts: 3,634
Images: 18
Hi Dan.............

The 400 Universal has an auto voltage sensing power supply, no switch to forget (or so says the Kino web site).

So I guess, unless it was a 120 Volt unit (who's fault would that be? Could be interesting) it's just plain faulty out of the box.


CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #6
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Posts: 4,087
Smoke

Obviously, you let the smoke out.

Let me explain: all electronic circuits "feed" on smoke. When you purchase a new electronic device, it comes with a certain amount of smoke inside to feed all the hungry little bits. When you plug in the device, all you are doing is warming up the smoke to make it more palatable to the electronic doohickeys inside your device. When the smoke has been adequately heated, the electronic parts begin to do their part to make the device work, in the case of your light, they create light by shining it out of their bums.

Sometimes, if one isn't careful OR if the smoke containing vessels are somehow ruptured, the smoke is let out and the device ceases to work. You'll know if this is in fact the case as you will see the smoke come out of your device.

Hope you got a chuckle. Good luck with the repair/replacement.
__________________
Shaun C. Roemich Road Dog Media - Vancouver, BC - Videographer - Webcaster
www.roaddogmedia.ca Blog: http://roaddogmedia.wordpress.com/
Shaun Roemich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #7
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fairfield, Dunedin, New Zealand
Posts: 3,634
Images: 18
Shaun...........

Speaking of smoking................


CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #8
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
Obviously, you let the smoke out.

Let me explain: all electronic circuits "feed" on smoke. When you purchase a new electronic device, it comes with a certain amount of smoke inside to feed all the hungry little bits. When you plug in the device, all you are doing is warming up the smoke to make it more palatable to the electronic doohickeys inside your device. When the smoke has been adequately heated, the electronic parts begin to do their part to make the device work, in the case of your light, they create light by shining it out of their bums.

Sometimes, if one isn't careful OR if the smoke containing vessels are somehow ruptured, the smoke is let out and the device ceases to work. You'll know if this is in fact the case as you will see the smoke come out of your device.

Hope you got a chuckle. Good luck with the repair/replacement.
Wow. That's all I can say. Wow.

You are giving away the secrets. Now the rabid elves are going to descend on you and take you away to the gathering place for a ritual stoning.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #9
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Posts: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
Now the rabid elves are going to descend on you and take you away to the gathering place for a ritual stoning.
I think CS was intimating earlier that I was already ston... never mind.
__________________
Shaun C. Roemich Road Dog Media - Vancouver, BC - Videographer - Webcaster
www.roaddogmedia.ca Blog: http://roaddogmedia.wordpress.com/
Shaun Roemich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
I think CS was intimating earlier that I was already ston... never mind.
Yes, I got that, I was just trying to get into the same spirit of weirdness that your post had... ;-)

D
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:24 AM   #11
Trustee
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London UK
Posts: 1,939
yeah it's dual voltage and it's going to be shipped back to B and H for repair. What a pain!
__________________
Philip Bloom
Cinematographer, Director, Filmmaker www.philipbloom.net
Phil Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #12
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,267
There are a couple of places which do warranty repair for Kino. At least one in NY and of course back at Headquarters on CA. I would just ask for a new replacement one if it did this on the first shoot. Also did they say how long it would take to get this one back. This is one reason it is sometime nice to buy locally as they could probably get you a loaner. Good Luck
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:25 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network