DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Disco LEDs mixed to 5600K? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/141907-disco-leds-mixed-5600k.html)

Nicholas de Kock January 19th, 2009 05:30 PM

Disco LEDs mixed to 5600K?

Is it possible to use a DMX mixer to get a colour temperature of 5600K on one of these light?

JB Systems Light - LED PAR56
Beglec.com -Products | &nbsp JB Systems Light - LED PAR56 (15°)

Keith Moreau January 19th, 2009 06:02 PM

I was wondering almost the same exact thing. I have some conventional lighting but it seems like the LED tech is getting better and brighter, and with the proper mix it seems these DMX style LED lights have a shot at replacing some of the hot and power hungry tungsten lighting.

I did ask this recently of a lighting dealer, www.filmandvideolighting.com, and Kerry from that company (who also sells conventional video lighting) said: "I wouldn’t recommend the Chauvet (-another brand but basically similar idea) for video if you are using it as a key or fill light as you will never get the skin tones correct with any LED fixture. Works great for creating a splash of color on the background or dramatic colored lighting on people."

However I still think it might have some uses and I just wonder with the proper percentages of R, G and B you might be able to get the exact temp you want. I may get one to play with it and see anyway.

Richard Andrewski January 19th, 2009 08:44 PM

I don't think DMX is that precise to allow that kind of fine tuned adjustment, plus the placement of RED, GREEN and BLUE and however they did it may not be optimal too.

Andy Tejral January 20th, 2009 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Andrewski (Post 997736)
I don't think DMX is that precise to allow that kind of fine tuned adjustment, plus the placement of RED, GREEN and BLUE and however they did it may not be optimal too.

DMX itself is perfectly capable of fine tonal adjustment. A channel provides 255 levels of adjustment--just like yr camera or monitor.

The instruments themselves are something else. I'm sure if you spend enough money, sure, you'll get a perfectly adjustable unit.

I have 4 Chauvet Colorsplash Jrs and I can tell you they are NOT capable of providing anything close to white light. And yes, the biggest problem is the distance between the LEDs. The light created by these units stays red, green and blue and really doesn't mix to create white. Plus, I believe they are only capable of 12 bit adjustment not 16. Also they do not have a very high light output so any diffusion you add will probably make them useless.

Nicholas de Kock January 22nd, 2009 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Tejral (Post 997932)
Also they do not have a very high light output so any diffusion you add will probably make them useless.

I spoke to someone that has tried this, he confirms this to be the case. The light is hard to match up, does not give the desired colour, it's also very narrow and weak making diffusion impossible.