DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 19th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Disco LEDs mixed to 5600K?

Is it possible to use a DMX mixer to get a colour temperature of 5600K on one of these light?

JB Systems Light - LED PAR56
Beglec.com -Products | &nbsp JB Systems Light - LED PAR56 (15°)
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:02 PM   #2
Major Player

I was wondering almost the same exact thing. I have some conventional lighting but it seems like the LED tech is getting better and brighter, and with the proper mix it seems these DMX style LED lights have a shot at replacing some of the hot and power hungry tungsten lighting.

I did ask this recently of a lighting dealer, www.filmandvideolighting.com, and Kerry from that company (who also sells conventional video lighting) said: "I wouldn’t recommend the Chauvet (-another brand but basically similar idea) for video if you are using it as a key or fill light as you will never get the skin tones correct with any LED fixture. Works great for creating a splash of color on the background or dramatic colored lighting on people."

However I still think it might have some uses and I just wonder with the proper percentages of R, G and B you might be able to get the exact temp you want. I may get one to play with it and see anyway.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #3
Major Player

I don't think DMX is that precise to allow that kind of fine tuned adjustment, plus the placement of RED, GREEN and BLUE and however they did it may not be optimal too.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Andrewski View Post
I don't think DMX is that precise to allow that kind of fine tuned adjustment, plus the placement of RED, GREEN and BLUE and however they did it may not be optimal too.
DMX itself is perfectly capable of fine tonal adjustment. A channel provides 255 levels of adjustment--just like yr camera or monitor.

The instruments themselves are something else. I'm sure if you spend enough money, sure, you'll get a perfectly adjustable unit.

I have 4 Chauvet Colorsplash Jrs and I can tell you they are NOT capable of providing anything close to white light. And yes, the biggest problem is the distance between the LEDs. The light created by these units stays red, green and blue and really doesn't mix to create white. Plus, I believe they are only capable of 12 bit adjustment not 16. Also they do not have a very high light output so any diffusion you add will probably make them useless.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:49 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Tejral View Post
Also they do not have a very high light output so any diffusion you add will probably make them useless.
I spoke to someone that has tried this, he confirms this to be the case. The light is hard to match up, does not give the desired colour, it's also very narrow and weak making diffusion impossible.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management