Sigma SL-20LX Video Light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:38 AM   #1
New Boot

Sigma SL-20LX Video Light

what do you think about this LED light for on the spot interviews.

http://www.simaproducts.com/products...product_id=614

heres the manual
http://www.simaproducts.com/support/...ser_manual.pdf
Randy Cabrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:22 PM   #2
Trustee

We have bought several of these for the consumer-level cameras we issue to photographers and reporters, bought for $29.95 to $39.95 depending if they were on sale (Videoguys.com) and imho they are a great bang for the buck. They do use a rechargable battery and when it poops out, you are stuck until you can charge it...would prefer aa batteries you could change out...but it does the job in a spot news or quick interview situation and, let's face it for simi-trained people using pool equipment, it's expendable if something bad happens...that's the news business...decent light but has a fairly narrow beam. For the $$ it's a steal I think.
//Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Thread moved from Open DV to Photon Management.

Thread title changed from "What do you think" to "Sigma SL-20LX Video Light"

Please avoid ambiguous thread titles... thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I'm thinking of buying a few of them.

I'm curious if they are at all useful during wedding reception, dancing. I can't imagine they are powerful enough for that, but who knows. They do look like a steal for the money, no doubt.

I run a sony 10/20 and wonder how they compare.

anyone have both?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:25 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I don't have the sony light, and haven't yet used my 20xl... but I'd seriously consider stocking up on these. If one isn't bright enough, try three!

They lock together (each has 3 cold-shoes on it). Granted the whole shoe system is a little fragile-looking. But it's $35ea. Stick 3 in your camera bag for a hundred bucks!

They are amazingly light at 2.5 oz.

But I do think that they probably have their greatest use as camera-in-your-face bad on-camera lighting at distances of perhaps 3-6'. Or, carry some ND so you can dial it in as a fill light or eye light. Not sure how much they're going to provide 12'+ away from a dancing couple.

They run 45 minutes plus on a charge, then are down for hours. Handy little things, it looks like.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:20 PM   #6
Major Player

I've had one of these little guys for about a year.... does work pretty good, but a bit on the green side. I taped on a square of Rosco Cinegel Tough 1/2 MinusGreen and it's in the ballpark.

by the way.... thread title has a typo.... it's SIMA not SIGMA....
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:39 PM   #7
Major Player

Terrific bang for the buck. Can also be used as kickers or background accents. High recommend. Buy at least two...
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:54 AM   #8
Major Player

I've been using one of these and I really like it. It's just so incredibly convenient and inexpensive. You could put together 10 of these into one large portable soft source for the price of one litepanel micro. Obviously color temperature can be an issue but generaly ive found it works fine. I did a test once and thought it came around 4000k and have a slight green tint, but i could be wrong. I've used it uncorrected plenty of times after that test and the images seemed surprisingly fine. They are very bright and a little harsh so some diffusion would be recommended but not always necessary. Overall for simplicity and price they are pretty amazing.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:05 PM   #9

Anyone using the light care to post some screen grabs?
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #10
Major Player

The auto interior scenes were lit using the Sima unit under discussion in this video (from the contests section on this site):

The Dead of Winter on Vimeo
Old February 6th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #11

Due to the inconsistency, it's hard to tell where the light was used and where it wasn't.

I was hoping for examples of subjects lit at night or in dark places to see the quality of the light (not the unit) itself.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #12
Regular Crew

That's pretty funny "it's hard to tell where the light was used and where it wasn't" What a great compliment. Considering it was used in daylight and you were to see beyond into the "outside" I'd say it's pretty effective. When you take into account the really small size, it runs continous for about 45 minutes and costs about 40 bucks. . . .Mmmmm
If I sold these $500.00 leds, I think I'd be nervous. I bought the smaller one also but it's a little lightweight.
Gary Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #13
Major Player

Jay.... I know what you are asking.... and I don't have those clips to show you. I will say this... anecdotally... that when used within about 5 feet of folks it is so bright they do not enjoy looking directly into the light or even close to the axis of the light.. Trust me, these little suckers have impressive light output..

I have put two together and think they do a fine job up to about 12 feet or so. I have been told elsewhere that adding the second makes a big difference, but the third seems to be diminishing returns. I only own two so cannot confirm that observation, but accept it.

I'm anxious to use these where they provide background fill or kicker light. I think they will shine there as well.

Are they a substitute for other lights? No, but they are an inexpensive addition to one's lighting arsenal and can fill in those little niches where other lights either cannot go, or just don't work. For the price, you cannot beat em. Youcan buy em for $35 each delivered to your door.
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Chris, I use the Sony 10/20 lights with a stoffen diffuser. Do you (or anyone else) know of a diffuser that can be used with these? I'd like to have a way to soften them for interviews, etc.

My attaction to them is how little weight they bring. In addition, my Sony lights use those humongous Sony batteries, and to be able to free up my Sony batteries would be so great.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #15
Major Player

Jeff.... I am sure they could be made to work with either some form of DIY diffuser or a commercial one, but cannot offer any personal experience down that road.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management