DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 27th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #1
Major Player

best way to approach a bad situation?

so tomorrow... i am shooting a property tour in a brownstowne with large windows during the day. I have 1 tota light with softbox, 1 rifa 44, 2 prolights, and a reflector. none of my lights are daylight color temperature. the property's windows are facing east and west.

shooting with an ex3

What would you do?

Greg
Greg Chisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Trustee

Get some daylight blue conversion gels and a package of clothespins to stick them on the barndoors? /Battle Vaughan /miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #3
Major Player

thanks ross

should i bounce the total with gel and forget about the the softboxes? use the pro lights as my key/fill? I definitely do NOT want to gel the windows! There are tons of them.

thanks for the quick response Ross!
Old February 27th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Major Player

Do you have to shoot it in the daytime?
Marshall Staton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #5
Major Player

yes i do...

unfortunately the owners have made tomorrow available... the listing is going on the mls wednesday. it's looking like gelling the lights is the best case scenario.

most buyers want to see a property in the daytime.

thanks for responding

Greg
Old February 27th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #6
Trustee

Since full CTB kills so much light I would probably use 1/2 CTB and white balance to about 4500K to make the daylight slightly blue and the gelled tungsten slightly amber. I don't think it looks so bad if colors are mixed as long as nothing goes too far from the camera's white.

The pro-lights are easy to gel but they are hard and not super powerful. I would use them where their hard shadows won't show or would look okay. The tota with soft box is going to be bulky to move around but the tota inside the box is probably easier to gel than the rifa 44. If I am mistaken, just gel whatever softbox is easiest and maybe use that to simulate daylight opposing the windows. Since you probably can't match the strength of the windows, you might want to pull the inner shades or partially close down any blinds so there isn't a giant blob of light overwhelming the picture on that side of the room. If I was shooting, I would let it blow out but keep some details that show off the nice window. If it is done right, it can actually look nicer than the view from the windows since it can make things look bright and ethereal.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management