DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 29th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
Do you know your cam's ASA/ISO? The XL2 is reported at 320, so you could do the math from there.
No I do not know my camera ISO/ASA. I couldn't find it on the Internet. This is the fist time I have heard of rating a camera with ISO/ASA. Usually they rate light sensitivity in Lux or better yet X Lux at F8, with a Signal to Noise spec.

Since I do only do event video and must make do with what is supplied (not counting an on-camera light), I am given three choices in low light to give a satisfactory image in the viewfinder: Add light, add gain (no more than 6db), lower shutter speed (limited use) or leave it dark. I have little use for a light meter during my run and gun type events. For over exposure I can use zebras, ND filters and Iris to get where I need to be. I'm sure in a studio environment the ISO/ASA would be really handy so you can use a meter to set up lights, I have never had that opportunity.
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:36 AM   #17
Slash Rules!

Okay, fellas.

I put the pics in the other thread to keep everything together, but I tried to do what you guys asked (minus the comparing with other lights)

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/photon-ma...ml#post1035719
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Josh how long did it take for you to receive the light after you ordered it and how much was shipping? Currently I'm using a Frezzi dimmable Mini-Fill but my battery pack is not holding a charge as it use to. I'm gonna have to struggle thru todays event and hopefully get the Microbeam by next weekend. Have you shot any events with this light or have any low light footage you can share - I've seen the pic but I haven't seen any footage yet. Thanks.
Michael Kirinovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #19
Slash Rules!

Looks like it took about six days according to my UPS emails. I'm sure you could get it expedited. I think it was about $15 for shipping.

Have not shot anything "real" yet, aside from all the test footage. I got it for a wedding in May. With my recent gig luck it'll probably be cancelled.
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I just got mine the other day, looks awesome so far. Very bright, nice dimmer and I can use my camcorder batteries.

If anyone has anything in specific they'd like to see post up and I can do it for a test.
Martin Wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #21
Slash Rules!

Yes. I would like detailed reports on how many and what type of objects are thrown at you each time you that turn thing on and point it at someone at your next shoot. I won't get to find out anytime soon because the specific event I bought it for was cancelled.
Old May 1st, 2009, 01:27 AM   #22
Trustee

We picked up one of these with a Sony battery mount.
Light is a bit on the green side, brighter than the Lightpanel's unit and more robust.
You really do need some diffusion on it, same as the Lightpanel. Luckily we have some of the smaller Sony batteries. A NP 970 on the light makes it pretty heavy.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 01:28 AM   #23
Slash Rules!

Use the 1/4 minus green that comes with the light to get rid of the green.
Old September 27th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #24
Tourist

Flolight Microbeam 256

I tried the 256 at a wedding last night. The 256 is 10" x 3", exactly twice as wide as the 128, and probably twice as heavy. It is a real problem mounting on the camera. Not sure the hotshoe will hold it and not break. Tried using a Stroboframe, but too clumsy. Still working on it.

The light pattern is very good for any purpose, wide, smooth, and not spotty. I see no need for diffusion. Color is fine, but the minus green filters are available. Also warming and tungsten. Gets quite a bit darker with tungsten on.

Brightness was compared to our normal little Bescor 100 watt battery light and the 150 watt electric plug-in light. Where the Microbeam called for f2.8, the 100 watt light wanted f3.4, and the electric light f4.8. So, it is not quite the advertised 200 watt equivalent. Might be close to the 100 watt, but not with tungsten filter on.

Interesting side observation is the reflection pattern. If you are shooting at anything that will reflect the shape of the light, such as windows or a person's eyes, or the side of a car, it does not look like a normal photographic light, which would be a point source of bright light.

I wish it were as small and light as the 128, and had a more round pattern. But I am still evaluating. Not quite bright enough for still photography.

Gary Eickmeier
Gary Eickmeier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management