Microbeam early impressions - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 19th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #31
Major Player

Just a reminder for those who wants to buy this light - price goes up after April 25th by $50. At the same moment there is new model coming out - 256 LED's unit (twice the size) for $560. I'm curious to see how this one will perform.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #32
Trustee

I see PrompterPeople is located in California.

Is there a source for the MicroBeam outside California?
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #33
Major Player

I would not recommend this light, poor quality workmanship, the intensity control knob get stuck 3/4 of the way but if you keep turning it will go all the way but the brightness doesn't get any brighter, I called support and they said that is the way it is, there is lump on the plastic knob and I need to grind it down or send it back to them and they will fix it, also they advertised it as equivalent to 100watts, that is not true at all, maybe 35 watts top, also there is a very bad green tint that you have to use the 1/2 -green filter and if you want it to be 3200K you need to put the 3200K filter on it and by this time the ouput is way down, this company is bad, they want 25% restocking fees, so you guys should stay away from them. I'm telling it like it is, now if any of you still want this light, I'm selling it in the classified section.
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
I would not recommend this light, poor quality workmanship, the intensity control knob get stuck 3/4 of the way but if you keep turning it will go all the way but the brightness doesn't get any brighter, I called support and they said that is the way it is, there is lump on the plastic knob and I need to grind it down or send it back to them and they will fix it, also they advertised it as equivalent to 100watts, that is not true at all, maybe 35 watts top, also there is a very bad green tint that you have to use the 1/2 -green filter and if you want it to be 3200K you need to put the 3200K filter on it and by this time the ouput is way down, this company is bad, they want 25% restocking fees, so you guys should stay away from them. I'm telling it like it is, now if any of you still want this light, I'm selling it in the classified section.
You seriously need to work on your sales technique.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #35
Major Player

I don't really care about selling it now, I'm so pissed at this company, they suck, and they lie and don't stand behind their product, I'm thinking I will keep if as a back up.
BTW I was in sale for 15 years and always in the top 3 of my company. (-:
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
I don't really care about selling it now, I'm so pissed at this company, they suck, and they lie and don't stand behind their product, I'm thinking I will keep if as a back up.
BTW I was in sale for 15 years and always in the top 3 of my company. (-:
Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel : )
Chris Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:47 PM   #37
Major Player

I used my new Microbeam 128 with my DVX100 on Saturday for an evening wedding. All in all I was very pleased.

Previously I used a PAGlight C6 with a 30w bulb. A quick test in the house with the lights off showed that the Microbeam was a touch brighter. I agree with the other comment it's about the equivalent of 35w. To confirm that I compared with my 50w halogen job and that was way brighter.

What I really like about this light is its portability and stamina. When using my Paglight I had to charge up and lug around 5 heavy batteries to last an a full event. Not to mention having one hanging off my shoulder all night and changing them every 90 minutes or so.

My Microbeam has the Panasonic battery mount and one Hanel 3600mAh battery lasted me all night (switching off when not using and occasionally dimming from full brightness).

I did do a test at home running the light on full brightness with a fully charged battery and it lasted for 3.5 hours.

For the event I used only the diffusion filter. Any colour tint hasnt shown up in the footage, I did manual white balances, one at the church and one at the reception.

I live in Brazil and my order went through Prompter People's Latin American rep. Had no issues whatsoever and all of my queries where answered quickly. A very good service in my opinion, I shall be buying another soon I hope, maybe the 256 version.
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:53 PM   #38
Slash Rules!

I'm certainly biased 'cause I have one, but I think it's silly to compare these lights to some of the things people have been comparing them to.

Obviously there are more powerful, nicer lights out there. But if you want a sun gun (or similar), you need an AB battery setup on your camera, or you have to lug around a shoulder battery. If you want a more powerful or correctly colored LED, you're going to spend way more than $300ish.

After researching all the lower cost options, it was either something like a $40 bescor with shoulder mounted brick, a rig that lasts for 80 minutes on a charge, or one of the lower cost LED options. So microbeam won. Maybe that new LP light is better, who knows? It wasn't out at the time.

Seems like in this price range, the "beam" or something close is the best compromise.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:40 PM   #39
Trustee

I recently got a Microbeam. I think it is excellent for my use. The batery mount, the dimmer, etc.

I don't use it on camera, but as fill light, accent, etc. It is quick and easy for situations where otherwise you probably wouldn't use anything.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:41 PM   #40
Regular Crew

do you guys have any problem with the battery, I'm using a Canon bp-950G and it won't work. any recommendation. I need this for this weekend. It work fine with the Elipz adapter
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #41
Trustee

FloLight MicroBeam :: Digital Juice

great deal going on here.I wonder if the green tint is still there?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #42
Slash Rules!

It better be. Otherwise I want a trade in.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #43
Regular Crew

100 watt = roughly 1700 lumens

Wikipedia says that an incandecent light bulb of 100 watts is roughly 1700 lumens. So think twice when someone rates an led of 100 watt equivalent but only shells out 250 lumens ???
Pat Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #44
Inner Circle

The light casts a soft circular spot. It needs a diffuse filter but that will also lower the overall light intensity output.
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #45
Trustee

But the 256 LEDs are pretty powerful even with the gel i guess.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management