DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Dedo Lights (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/15213-dedo-lights.html)

David Mesloh October 1st, 2003 12:04 AM

Dedo Lights

Has anyone used these lights before? I'm thinking about buying a set of 4 lights for use in small independent films. I know they're expensive, but everything I have seen on them really impresses me.

Thanks,

David Mesloh

Charles Papert October 1st, 2003 12:36 AM

Fabulous lights.Very punchy. Very flexible. Enjoy them!

David Mesloh October 1st, 2003 12:40 AM

Thanks Charles,

I figured you'd poke your head in for me. I tried one at the local rental house in San Francisco. Very impressive. I love all the mounting variations that are included in the kits. The Eye light projector attachment really appeals to me. I'll let you know how they work on my first job.

David

Charles Papert October 1st, 2003 12:52 AM

David:

In the same sort of price range, I can heartily recommend the Gyoury light system. Like the Dedos, many uses and configurations, but for soft rather than hard light. My dream kit would be to get my Gyourys together with your Dedo's--we could light the world!!!

Zac Stein October 1st, 2003 08:10 AM

I have used some of the smaller dedo's with the project elements, and they were without a doubt the best lights i had ever used.

We had the battery packs and dimmers with them, and they were simply awe inspiring...couldn't ask for better.

Zac

Btw charles... how you been... i meet with the money about that thing we discussed a while ago in 2 weeks, fingers crossed!!!!

David Mesloh October 1st, 2003 10:11 AM

Gyoury lights...............mmmmmmmmm. Ok now I'm sportin' wood.

Sorry, bad visual there. They look like Kino's with an attitude.

I like your ideal kit idea. I might just have to put the Gyoury's on my "Honey I'm selling your Stairmaster so I can by lighting equipment" list. God, I hate sleeping on the couch....................

David

Charles Papert October 1st, 2003 11:05 AM

Zac, I'm still planning to come out there for my cousin's wedding in April, so...

Matt Gettemeier October 1st, 2003 12:56 PM

If I coulda' afforded 'em I would have chosen Dedo over Moles... they are priced in a whole different class because they are in a whole different class.

So far I've never had any regrets about getting the expensive version of anything... only the "affordable" stuff...

The Dedo's definitely get a lot into a portable package...

After more or less completing my light kit with around 6 lights, I wish I'd have thought more about portability from the outset...

I may actually sell two of my brand-new Moles just to get two of the cute little Dedo's.

Jacko Bultinck October 1st, 2003 01:56 PM

did you read this ???? some volatile thoughts,

The features about the Dedolights that I like the most are the framing shutters, the iris and the essential projection attachment. Changing the bulbs is easy. They hardly ever burn out unless your transformer zaps them (especially if you turn them on to their highest power suddenly).

You may get better results with studio lighting made especially for high-end digital scanning cameras such as Better Light or PhaseOne.....

"But if you are getting flimmer and fluctuation in your lighting (noticeable on your large format digital images as vertical gray lines) then you may need a constant voltage power conditioner. Sola makes recommended units. You may also need to change some of your lights to avoid potential digital disturbance."......

"After noting that some models of Dedolights may have caused black lines across our digital photographs I began looking around for studio lighting that was better suited to high end digital scanning backs. Michael Collette recommended I try Sun Spots from North Light".......

Charles Papert October 1st, 2003 07:37 PM

I have no idea about digital large format scanning cameras, that's for sure...

But I can tell you that Dedos are approved and in use in most high end film production. I see them on most sets. On the last feature I operated, we shot in a major league locker room, and the DP had a Dedo spotting every locker--some 35-40 units.

David Mesloh October 5th, 2003 03:41 AM

Well... I got my Dedo lights and used them this weekend. Wow!

I'm DP on an independent short shooting in Northern California. I'm lighting with 2-1200w HMI's, 2- 4 x4 Kinoflos, and now 4 Dedo lights. There wasn't a thing I couldn't light this weekend. The Dedos were great for rim and background lighting. Worked well as fill lights when using diffusion gel. Used the projector attachment with the deep-eye filter system for punching up the eyes of our actress. Even was able to mount 2 lights on the sliding glass door with vacume (sp?) pods when I ran out of stands.

Do yourself a favor and look at these incredibly versital lights.

Regards,

David

John Locke October 5th, 2003 04:43 AM

David,

Did you get the Basic, Standard, or Master kit? And if you don't mind my asking, what was the price?

David Mesloh October 6th, 2003 04:56 AM

I purchased a modified Standard Kit. I didn't get all the gels and gel holders, I didn't get some of the mounting stuff. I ordered some extra bulbs,diffusion disks with holders, the deep eye light set with the DP-1 85mm projection lens, and a couple of other things. Price out the door around $5200 including next day air.

David