DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 9th, 2003, 02:03 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

The continuing softbox adventure

Ok, so I tried to use this softbox for the first time the other day, and noticed after having it on for 20 minutes or so that it was sagging in an unnatural way. After disassembling it and closely inspecting things, it seems the sag was caused by the plastic base around one of the rods attached to the speed ring melting.

Anyway, I asked the guy who sold it to me if has any rods with metal bases, but if he doesn't for some reason, anyone know where I can find 'em? The softbox itself seemed to be okay, except where it came in physical contact with the Tota-light inside it after sagging (flaking off of the reflective interior. . .burn marks).

I just need the rods. It's for a 24x36" box.

By the way, what separates those boxes made for strobe lighting from those made for hot lights?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2003, 05:27 PM   #2
Wrangler

In a word, materials.

I visited the Channel 7 news studio in San Francisco. They use softboxes made for use with strobes because they like the light. But they admitted to having a few fire extinguishers handy all the time.

You have to have all-metal construction. Plastic just won't make it when you use a softbox with halogen lights.
Old October 9th, 2003, 07:44 PM   #3
Slash Rules!

Sorry, all metal construction where? You mean the speed ring and support rods?
Old October 9th, 2003, 08:02 PM   #4
Wrangler

Yes, the rods and ring. I don't think the plastics they use for intake manifolds on automobile engines would last for long.

Maybe if you had a fan on the setup plastic would survive but then you'd have the fan noise to contend with.

My portable softbox is all metal and the fabric is really heat-proof.
Old October 9th, 2003, 08:48 PM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Josh,
When I was first looking into softboxes I, too, considered getting a unit that did not specifically say it was designed for "continuous lighting". Ultimately I shrugged, ponied-up for the extra scratch and got a Photoflex. Many months later I was watching a fashion photo shoot and noticed that their strobe boxes were, indeed, manufactured quite differently than my Photoflex or my Chimera.

As Mike said, "materials".

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2003, 12:55 AM   #6
Slash Rules!

Well, the speed ring is from photoflex, and the rods are metal, it's the thick part at the base of each rod that is plastic. . .i just need some aluminum tipped rods or just the aluminum tubing to fit around the bare metal

As for the box, like I said, it was on for 15-20 minutes in my estimation, and seemed fine except where it physically touched the tota after sagging. If I turn out to be wrong, oh well, I'll get a real photoflex box. . .can't be too expensive if I don't get a light or a speed ring with it.
Old October 10th, 2003, 11:29 AM   #7
Wrangler

As long as any problem you might have happens when there isn't a customer around, you'd probably be OK.

But if the box goes up in flames and/or it causes damage, you could be in for some problems.

I'd certainly keep a fire extinguisher handy.

What you will probably see is the fabric will delaminate and discolor over time.

Might not be too late to sell what you have to a still photog and get a setup rated for continuous use.
Old October 10th, 2003, 08:16 PM   #8
Great DV dot com

Josh, you don't mention what brand the softbox is. Sounds like you have a strobe bag instead of a hot light unit. Phtoflex hot light bags have metal rod ends.

You may also be using higher wattage in the box than it is rated for. Softbanks are rated for heat, larger ones can handle more watts. Though I think most 24x36 bags would be rated at around 1000 watts -- IF they are for hot lights.

Whoever is doing the lighting at Channel 7 in SF is a moron. There is no difference in light quality between the strobe units and the hot light units, only heat rating. I truly hate to see an unsafe situation justified in such an asinine way.
Old October 10th, 2003, 08:51 PM   #9
Trustee

I have a Photoflex softbox, speedring and rods and i can assure you there is no danger of anything melting. This scenario is why i refuse to buy anything except from a reputable retailer. I will buy online but there has to be a bricks and mortar establishment at the end of the line.

In an effort to salvage the situation, it is important to know exactly what brand and model each of the components are. We know you have a Tota and you say it's a photoflex speedring. Worst case is $180 for a new brimstone lined soft box and the metal rods that come with it. Brimstone is the fabric that the Photoflex silverdome is made out of and believe me it doesn't flake. The westcott and chimera are also great stuff but cost more.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2003, 08:53 PM   #10
Major Player

Seems to me Josh must shoulder some of the blame for his predicament. This thread has really been going on for a few pages under different names, winding inexorably to this unhappy conclusion. Buying gear piecemeal off the internet, in an effort to save money and be "clever," can yield poor results. Josh has received some good advice along the way, from people like Richard Veil of Chimera, which he has chosen to ignore as he marches to his own drummer. Now, it appears he has been sold the wrong gear from some fellow on e-bay who does not care whether Josh burns down the house or not; he just wants his cash.

I fully understand the desire to save money, but the old saw about being "pennywise and pound foolish" certainly applies in this instance. Before you can buy piece-by-piece, you best know what it is exactly you are after.

Sorry if it sounds like I am picking on you Josh, but I have helped you enough in the past to call you on this one. Hopefully, others will learn from your experience.

Wayne Orr, SOC
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2003, 10:53 PM   #11
Slash Rules!

Well, as I said, this is a brandless box. . .the seller said, and still says, it works for up to 1000 watts of continuous light. However, he now tells me, this is with his universal speed ring, not the photoflex one which I bought. His speed ring has two parts that keep heat transmission between light and ring way down. However, as there was no way to attach a Tota to the one he was selling, I purchased the photoflex ring.

Of course I accept some responsibility, but having bought 15 or so items off "the bay" and having had no problems 'til just now, I'll keep with it.
Old October 11th, 2003, 09:07 PM   #12
Great DV dot com

If the rib tips are plastic, he fibs.

Some things aren't worth saving a couple of bucks.
Old October 11th, 2003, 10:22 PM   #13
Slash Rules!

Sigh. . .you're probably right.

It isn't a couple of bucks though. The cheapest softbox I'd be interested in (medium silverdome or movie dome is around $250.

While it was on. . .it was such a beautiful quality of light. . .so it quite pisses me off.
Old October 12th, 2003, 01:32 AM   #14
Trustee

Josh
the medium siverdome is $180 at B&H and the cinedome is $190. For the $179.95 the medium silverdome comes with a kit.

All due respects , but you've been given this info before. I know because i gave it to you. You've been given the correct info yet you choose not to listen. When the shortcut backfires, it becomes a catastrophe everytime.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=152322&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=197002&is=REG
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2003, 09:44 AM   #15
Slash Rules!

The cinedome's only meant for fresnels, though, right?

Also, it says the silverdome will handle up to 400 degrees Farenheit. Will my Tota be okay in there, even if I lamp it up to 750 watts?

I lost $55 and melted some plastic. . .catastrophe's a little dramatic, don't you think?

I'd just like to conclude by thanking everyone involved for making me feel extraordinarily stupid, instead of just mildly so.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management