DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Chimera or Photoflex softbox for frezzi mini-fill? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/16540-chimera-photoflex-softbox-frezzi-mini-fill.html)

Marc Martin November 2nd, 2003 02:28 AM

Chimera or Photoflex softbox for frezzi mini-fill?

Is someone has tested these 2 products side by side?

I will use one of these softboxs on a Frezzi mini-fill (on a DVX100)

I have seen that Frezzi has also a softbox for the mini, but it seems a bit ridiculous compared to the others 2.

Thank for reply.

Marco Leavitt November 2nd, 2003 02:52 PM

I use my Frezzi dimmer-minifill with the Chimera and absolutely love it. Haven't tried the Photoflex though sorry.

Richard Veil November 3rd, 2003 11:23 AM

Here is the deal on the two products

Both kits contain a little light bank.
The Photoflex kit is a fit all hardware system.
It is an ajustable bracket system.

The Chimera hardware is designed just for your light. It mounts on a nice rubber base it works really great under all kinds of situations.

You can get an option of front faces for the Microbank. Full, half, quarter stop.

The Chimera Microbank is handmade in Boulder Co and has a 5yr warranty.
We put the same time and effort into this little 5x7 Microbank as we do into our larger Lightbanks.
People have Chimeras for a really long time and we can refurbish Lightbanks many years later because we design and sew them here in America.

Let me know if I can help.

Strength and honor.
Your humble servant
R

Mike Rehmus November 3rd, 2003 04:46 PM

When I attended NAB in 2002, the Frezzi folks recommended the Photoflex which I did buy and do use. It works fine but the universality of the hardware makes it a bit cumbersome. At about $100 at the time, it was a good buy.

I'd take a strong look at a custom solution as long as you think you will be using the same hardware for a long period of time or don't mind replacing the setup when you change.

I've used the photoflex for hours at a time with no problems.

James Hall November 5th, 2003 05:22 PM

Chimeras are a little more pricey. Photoflex is a good value and will perform adequately.

If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks, I think you will like the Chimera. I have several and they never give me a problem.

I have a couple 5K lights that get really hot...the Chimeras handle the extra heat just fine. Even though they are fairly large, they are easy to assemble and break down.

The custom nature of the Chimera might also give you a little better fit for your unique application.

But, both will work. I think one of these two would be your best choice. I would not recommend some of the less expensive foreign knock-offs if you want them to last for a while.

For what it's worth...just one opinion.

J

Mike Butler November 8th, 2003 09:14 PM

Mike, I wonder why Frezzi didn't recommend their own soft box? Has it been discontinued?

Actually, I have one of these...the big plus is that it folds totally flat and fits in the side pocket of my Porta Brace bag without taking up any space. The down side is that it seems to give more light loss than diffusion: 1 full stop.

It really doesn't hurt anything when you are shooting in relative darkness and your Frezzi is the key light, I usually have to crank the dimmer way down anyway due to the sensitivity of people's eyes and of the XL1, which really doesn't need all that power (zebra striping like crazy at the full 50 watts, plus your subjects squinting, cringing...)

But in a bright environment where you really want the Frezzi for a fill or eye light, it seems overwhelmed when the box is on it. Maybe if the softbox were 5x7" like the Chimera...???

Mike Rehmus November 8th, 2003 11:31 PM

Their unit doesn't fit my NRG Varilight Pro as far as I know.

I still lust after the little 18 watt HMI Frezzi.

Mike Butler November 9th, 2003 05:32 PM

Probably right, I never tried it on anything but my Mini-Fill, with that speed ring it is unlikely to fit anything else. Hey, if you get that HMI, tell me how it is!