DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Camera mounted light (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/17026-camera-mounted-light.html)

Greg Matty November 13th, 2003 01:30 PM

Camera mounted light

I am looking at a Lowel Pro or iLight as a camera mounted light but I am not sure about their power source. Lowel says they can draw from a 12volt source but I don't know if that refers to drawing from the camera's battery or from an external 12 volt supply. I like the ProLight as I can use it to light an interview properly when AC is available, or change lamps and pop it on the camera when no AC is handy.

What are others using?

Greg Matty

Marc Young November 13th, 2003 11:29 PM

I am not familiar with the two lights mentioned, but would be wary of a light that borrowed from the camera battery. My solution turns out to be a little expensive. It involves the Anton Bauer Stasis system consisting of a shoulder mount, a gold mount battery, a charger, and the ultralight 2 with 25 watt esx lamp. In an unlit room, the candlepower is adequate for a 4-6 ft shooting distance. Not blinding light, but good enough that the picture is not swallowed up in dark noise. At $1149 this is a costly solution, but since the stasis can also be mounted on a tripod (not included), you have the benefits of a portable power system which you can mount in the two most traditional ways (shoulder or tripod). And the beauty of all of this is that the cabling is provided to you as part of the package. According to AB, you can also purchase a wireless receiver mount (ABWMK). At some point in your career, you have to bite the bullet and decide on a battery system. Anton Bauer's reputation swung the decision for me.

Now, clearly if you have another source of 12 V power, you can try 50, 75 or 100 w lamps.

If AC is freely available, use whatever light you prefer, and consider the shoe-mountable micro lightboxes which are discussed in other threads.

Richard Veil November 14th, 2003 01:23 AM

Pro light

Pro light.. or I light..

all run from any 12v source. Some of the big broadcast cameras can run the lights but most people use a seperate power source and described in great detail above... or is it below..
anyhow

a good softening system for the prolight ect...]

it a little chimera maybe a 12x16 Item 8104 Video Pro and
the 2945 Prolight speedring

This gives you great on or off camera light source.
The Lightbank will be great for all kinds of stuff..
Peace

R

Marc Young February 13th, 2004 03:26 PM

I decided to try out the Lowel I-Light, which comes with a 50-55w bulb installed and an extra 100w bulb. This will probably be the last light I ever buy from them because it wound up wasting more of my time than any other accessory I've ever tried.

First it blows out the fuse on my lead acid battery. I thought this was due to a fluke condition from having not used the battery in a while. Then I use an anton bauer titan charger/power supply. This lights the bulb, but as I adjust the spotlight control, the light goes out and the titan is turned into a smoking ant. The AB charger now has to go back to the factory for repair.

Not to be dissuaded by schlock dc sources, I hook the light to a Hewlett Packard 6282A PROFESSIONAL dc power supply. Unlike the wimpy prosumer power sources, this supply safely current limits and shuts down on shorts, without blowing fuses or smoking. The safe shutdown happens as the Lowel control lever is manipulated. Having narrowed down the problem to the Lowel, I disassemble the i-light to find out what was wrong. There is a short circuit condition that is set up when the bulb assembly is fully retracted. The positive terminal on a wire is touching a negative terminal. Very bad layout and a loose screw are the cause of the problem. This on a brand new light. Very crappy quality control and wiring. Of the three connectors, only one has insulation around it. And even that is loose, and not shrink wrapped. I fixed the problem rather than returning the light to the factory. If you own this light, I suggest you open it up to fix potential safety problems such as shorts and wire flexing/rubbing against bare metal. To Lowel: you fail Underwriters Laboratory standards for such a dangerous design.

Greg Matty February 14th, 2004 10:58 PM

Marc,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I purchased a Pro Light recently and have an NRG Day Pro battery pack on the way. I am committed to this setup and will give a good test in honduras in the near future. Hopefully all will go well and I won't have the issues you had with your iLight.

Thanks for the heads up and I hope you have better success with your improved iLight.

Greg Matty

Richard Veil February 17th, 2004 12:19 AM

Oh my gosh!

I can see that you have a bad taste in your mouth from I guess Lowel?
Anyhow.. I am sure my buddy Eric at Lowel will take care of you.

Please send an email or call Eric.

Tell him I sent you.

718 921 0600 x118
edrucker@lowel.com

All I ask is you give Eric the benifit of the doubt.

He won't let you down if you have a real problem

I am also at your disposal.

r